CyHire is the primary online tool that ISU engineering students should use to identify job opportunities, submit resumes for consideration, and arrange interviews. All professional employment opportunities (full-time and internships) being recruited for on the ISU campus should be in CyHire. The system even has a search agent that will regularly email job seekers with information about job postings that meet a customizable search criteria.
CyHire also contains information about employers and allows you to make advising appointments with Engineering Career Services, report after-graduation plans, and more. Learn how to use CyHire more effectively by reading through the following frequently asked questions and advanced tips.
General Tip: Use the ‘Back’ button within CyHire rather than on the browser.
To access your CyHire account go to https://cyhire.iastate.edu/students/. If you do not have a password, enter your complete ISU e-mail address and click ‘Forgot my password’. A temporary login password will be immediately emailed to you. If a CyHire email is not received after a few minutes, contact email@example.com.
Once you have logged in, click on the Profile tab. It is very important to fill in all required information under the Personal and Academic sub-tabs. This information qualifies you for access to certain jobs and interviews. You can also change your password under the Profile tab.
CyHire makes it very easy for job seekers to submit their resumes to employers and it makes it easy for employers to collect and review resumes. For many job opportunities, you must apply for the position by submitting your resume using CyHire.
Before you upload your resume, make sure you have prepared a resume that is likely to lead to an interview. Review our information on best practices for preparing an effective resume. You can also make an appointment with career services to get advice on your resume.
Steps for uploading a resume
- Save your resume as a PDF before uploading to CyHire to avoid delays due to document conversion.
- Click on the Documents tab
- Click Add New
- Type a label. Recommendation for the label: LastName_MonthYear (Example: Smith_November2013)
- If using for a specific company, add the company’s name (Example: Smith_November2013_Boeing)
- Click Browse and choose the correct document; click Submit
- You can upload up to 30 documents
To edit a resume once it has been uploaded, you will need to make changes to the document outside of CyHire and then upload the edited version using the steps above. If you have submitted a resume to an employer for consideration, you will need to withdraw and re-submit the resume (the same applies for other documents) in order for the employer to have the most current version.
CyHire should be your primary tool when searching for open positions since all employers are required to post their positions in the system for Equal Employment Opportunity compliance.
To review current employment opportunities:
- Click the Jobs tab on the header
- From the Show Me menu, select All Jobs & Interviews
- Select your major from the Majors/Concentrations menu
- Select your Position Type (either Full Time or Experiential Education)
- Click on Search
Under the Jobs tab, click the Advanced Search option:
- In the Show Me input field select All Jobs & Interviews
- Select your major by clicking Majors/Concentrations
- For the statement, Include only selected major click Yes
- Choose the appropriate Position Type. Experiential Education is summer, intern or co-op work experience.
- You can also filter by:
- Class Level
- Location: City, State, or Country
- Work Authorization
- Click Submit
Tip: After searching, click on the Saved Searches drop-down menu, and enter a title for your search to save it. You can then choose to have the system run this search a regular basis and email you the results. Simply select how often you would like to run the search under Send via email.
- On the Job Postings page, click on the title of the job you wish to apply for.
- The left column displays the job description and the right column displays details about the application.
- You will be asked to apply in one of 3 ways (indicated under HOW TO APPLY).
- By visiting the company’s website.
- By seeing the company at the career fair.
- By clicking the Apply button.
- Select your resume (that you previously uploaded to CyHire) from the drop-down menu.
- Select any other required documents (marked with an *).
- If you would like to add a message to the employer, you can do so in the NOTES section. This is not a required field.
- Click on Submit.
Clicking Submit means the employer will electronically receive access to your resume. Resume books are not created and employers do not browse through the system. Employers will never see your resume unless you submit it. Your action is required for the employers having access to your resume.
The terms qualifications and screening criteria are synonymous. The Profile tab contains your qualifications. Click the Academic Information sub-tab to edit your qualifications. The following five screening criteria may affect your qualification for interviews:
- Graduation date
- Applicant type
- Work authorization
- NOTE: Your GPA is downloaded from the ISU Registrar and cannot be changed. A GPA from another institution is not averaged into your ISU GPA.
Tip: Keep your profile current so you don’t miss any job opportunities.
- In the upper left-hand corner of your homepage, you will see that you have 1 Requested Interview.
- The employer will review your resume, and if he/she invites you to interview, you will see the message, ‘You may sign up for 1 interview’ in your News Feed.
- Click on the link, and you will have the option to View Job, Decline Interview, or Schedule Interview.
- To schedule an interview, select the desired time and then click Submit.
- If an employer does not invite you to interview, the job will simply remain under REQUESTED INTERVIEWS.
- On your CyHire homepage, click on Scheduled Interviews.
- Choose the appropriate interview schedule.
- Click the cancel interview or the reschedule tab under the Interview Details section.
Note: Employers must be provided with at least 48 hours notice when it is necessary to cancel an interview. Please see the cancellation policy for more information.
Networking is an essential part of the job search process. Networking is simply building relationships and connecting with others to exchange information, advice, contacts, and support. In the job search process, face-to-face networking is the most effective and occurs at career fairs, information sessions, professional society meetings and other events where there is an opportunity to engage with employers. View more information about Networking.
- The Career Fair sub-tab provides a list of all career fairs. Select the upcoming career fair to see a list of all companies that are currently planning to attend. From the Participants tab select Engineering from the drop-down menu and click Apply Search. Use the Advanced Search function to further narrow the companies.
- Clicking the name of the company will take you to the company profile and may provide a position description along with the screening criteria. Company profiles are great to research before attending the career fair. For more tips visit the Career Fair Advice page.
- The Information Sessions sub-tab provides information about meetings that employers will be holding to provide information about the company that they represent. In addition to learning more about employers, information sessions provide opportunities to meet company representatives and do a little networking. In some cases, employers may fill open slots in interview schedules through the networking that occurs at an information session.
- Click on Request an Advising Appointment under SHORTCUTS on your CyHire homepage, or schedule through the Calendar tab.
- Select the Type of appointment based on what you would like to discuss.
- Enter a date and time range, then click on Check Availability to see what appointment times are current available.
- Select the appointment time you would like to schedule.
Only career services personnel can see your information in CyHire. Employers cannot see any of your information. This includes your resume unless you submit it to them in order to be considered for a specific position.
A Student User Guide can be found in the Document Library of CyHire under the Resources tab.