CyHire is Iowa State’s career management system that provides all ISU students equal access to professional employment opportunities. Thousands of engineering students and alumni use CyHire as their primary tool to search for positions.
CyHire is free to employers and involves a quick and easy registration process. We require that each individual have their own account and log-in information. To register for a CyHire account or sign in to an existing account, click here: CyHire Log-In
Non-professional positions (i.e. positions that do not involve the practice of engineering) can be posted on ISU’s Student Job Board.
Creating a Job Posting in CyHire
Please see the steps below to create a job posting in CyHire. If you need any assistance with your job postings, reach out to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log in to your CyHire account at https://cyhire.iastate.edu/employers
- Click the ‘Create Job Posting’ shortcut on the right side of the homepage.
- Fill out the form. Anything with a red asterisk must be completed.
- Enter as much of a description as you can. This is what students will read when deciding to apply or not.
- Start your GPA as low as you can and screen from there. We suggest starting around a 2.5.
- Enter each individual major you are looking for. Do not put ‘College of Engineering’ as the major – this will be filtered out when students search for positions, so they will not see your job posting. Select specific engineering majors.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- When your job posting has been approved by career services, students and alumni will be able to apply!
For best results with your job postings, include information on the tasks, duties, and responsibilities that will be performed. The following are other great details you can include in your job posting, which can help increase the number of students who apply:
- Required qualifications and experience
- Position-specific duties
- Special qualifications
- Brief overview of the company
- Work environment and organizational culture
- Summary of benefits
- Unique benefits and opportunities
Sample Job Descriptions
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) provides great examples of job descriptions for engineering-related positions. Please use these samples as a guide when developing job descriptions for your open positions.
- Aeronautical Engineer
- Biochemical Engineer
- Biomedical Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Computer Software Engineer or Systems Software Engineer
- Engineering Environmental Planner
- Industrial Engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Quality Engineer
- Safety Engineer
- Sales Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Transportation Engineer
- Wind Energy Engineer
Hiring International Students
About 8% of undergraduate students and 57% of graduate students in the College of Engineering are international students. Approximately 35% of international students complete a co-op or internship during their time at ISU. View more information on the benefits of employing international students, guides for understanding visas and work authorization, and FAQs for hiring international students here: https://www.engineering.iastate.edu/ecs/employers/employing-international-students/.
The International Students and Scholars Office at Iowa State University also has several resources for employers to better understand the steps to hire international students with various visas for internship, co-op, or post-graduation positions. Check out this F-1 Employment Authorization infographic and the U.S. Employer’s Guide to Hiring International Students for more information!