Welcome to Engineering Career Services at
Iowa State University
We take pride in helping ISU engineering students and alumni plan, prepare for, and launch successful careers. Additionally, we enjoy helping employers connect with ISU’s great engineering talent. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and follow the guidelines established by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
Please use the menu at the top and the quick links to explore the information we have prepared for you.
Services During CoVID-19 Social Distancing Period
Engineering Career Services continues to provide services to students, alumni and employers during the period of social distancing aimed at slowing the spread of the COVID-19 virus. While we are doing our part by not participating in face-to-face meetings, we continue to interact with all of our customers via email, phone, and video conferencing. We are also expanding our efforts to help job seekers and employers connect by assembling resume books and facilitating interviews via video conferencing. See the following for more specific information:
Students and Alumni:
- Career Advising: Schedule career advising appointments through CyHire or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online Career Prep Learning: On-demand career preparation information can be found in the student area of this website and through the Engineering Career Prep Course in Canvas. If you do not see this course on your Canvas dashboard or have any questions, email or call us.
- Resume Book for Graduating Seniors**: Seniors who are graduating this semester and currently seeking post-graduation employment can submit a resume for inclusion in the “Spring 2020 Engineering Graduating Seniors Resume Book”.
- Resume Book for Internships & Co-ops**: Students who are looking for summer internships or co-ops can submit a resume for inclusion in the “Spring 2020 Engineering Intern Resume Book”.
**Resume Books are a collection of resumes that employers are given access to when they have posted employment opportunities in CyHire. Since they are a passive method of seeking employment, they are used sparingly at ISU. Students are encouraged to actively seek employment by searching job postings, applying for positions, and networking with employers. However, resume books do provide another opportunity for connections, so they are used midway through the semester after other on-campus recruiting activity slows. Since your resume will be viewable by many employers and you have less control of its distribution, it is highly recommended that you do not include your street address.
To submit your resume, simply log into your CyHire account, and click on “Opt-in Books” under the “My Documents” section on the left. Then select the resume you’d like to include (or upload it under “Documents” if you haven’t already done so). Your resume will be reviewed by Engineering Career Services and suggestions for improvement may need to be addressed before it is published in the resume book.
- Job Postings: Please continue to post employment opportunities through your CyHire account. If you don’t currently have a CyHire account, you can create one and post positions free of charge (see the CyHire link in the menu)
- Resume Books: Employers that have a full-time position posted in CyHire will be granted access to an opt-in resume book for graduating seniors. Similarly, employers that have a co-op or internship position posted will be granted access to an opt-in resume book for students seeking these types of positions.
- Interviewing via Phone or Video Conferencing: If you need any assistance in arranging interviews via the phone or video conferencing, please let us know. We are eager to assist.