The safety and well-being of students, faculty and staff who are participating in Iowa State University programs abroad is of the highest importance. Iowa State has established policies and procedures designed to safeguard the safety and well-being of study abroad participants.

The Study Abroad Risk Management Committee, SARMC, monitors the safety and security situation at all program sites. Study abroad program participants abroad are notified via e-mail if the U.S. State Department issues a country-specific Warning or Announcement. Procedures are in place should an individual program participant, or all program participants, need to be evacuated from the program site.

Iowa State is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, through:

ISU Police
(001) 515-294-4428

Addressing safety and well-being begins with training the Program Directors and providing all program participants with pre-departure orientation. Program participants are provided with extensive written information and resources, available both in print and online.

Student Responsibilities

Iowa State encourages students to take responsibility for their own safety and security by carefully reading the information, advice, and resources provided, including the following websites:

Students should also do the following:

  • Check to make sure emergency contact information is current in their ISUAbroad applications.
  • Upload a copy of your passport in ISUAbroad and leave a copy with your emergency contact person.
  • Provide an itinerary and contact information with your Program Director or on-site staff for all additional travel not associated with the program.
  • Carry an emergency telephone contact list.
  • Know the local equivalent of 911 for the countries in which you are travelling.
  • If you have a cell phone, store your emergency contact’s phone number under ICE (In Case of Emergency) so that emergency/medical personnel can contact your family.
  • Enter your phone number and address where you can be reached while abroad in ISUAbroad

International Insurance

Questions about International Health Insurance and Emergency Services?