The following handbooks can be found on the Study Abroad Center website:
• Program Director Field Manual
• Program Director Handbook
• Emergency Procedures

Program Proposals:

Summer and spring/winter/fall break group study abroad programs (operated outside of an exchange agreement) need to be reviewed on an annual basis by the Education Abroad Committee (EAC). Proposal forms can be found on the EAC website.
To propose a new program or partnership, please visit “Proposing a New Program/Partnership”.

Course Substitutions:

We are continually updating our database of previously transferred classes and course substitutions. If you are aware of any newly approved courses for substitution, please send us the details (eip@iastate.edu) and we will be happy to add them to the database.

Travel Resources:

When traveling internationally we advise faculty, staff and students who are US citizens to register for the US State Department Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Registering is easy and quick. This is so the government can contact citizens in the case of an emergency. Register here!

For details on safety and health-related topics for various countries, visit:
US State Department
Center for Disease Control


ISUAbroad is the online student application system for international programs. All program Coordinators/Directors should have access to the system – just use your ISU NetID and regular password to LogIn. Emergency contacts, health insurance details, copies of passports, and medical info can be found for your student participants in the ISUAbroad system. There are online video tutorials available.  We are happy to assist with any of your ISUAbroad questions (eip@iastate.edu).

Independent Study and other Supported Student Travel:

Students who are receiving any support for international travel either financial or advising from Iowa State faculty, departments, the College or University are required to complete a proposal to the Education Abroad Committee (EAC). Proposal details are listed on the EAC website. Additionally students participating in supported non-credit baring activities must register the travel in ISUAbroad on the “Independent Study” page.
Please contact us (eip@iastate.edu) if you have any questions.