Students must follow University, College and Departmental policies while obtaining their degree. See official university catalog for specific details on rules and procedures:
Foreign Language Requirement
The College of Engineering requires all students to have either two years of a single world language in high school or two semesters of college credit in a single world language. The World Language Petition document provides further options for meeting this requirement.
World Language Petition (PDF)
The College of Engineering Basic Program is a set of courses that provides a foundation common to all engineering curricula. Before enrolling in engineering courses at the 200-level or higher, students must have at least a 2.0 grade point average in the Basic Program courses and an ISU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.
Contact: Paul Castleberry
Students requesting to withdraw from Iowa State University should reference the University Registrar Resource site. Resources include an action checklist for students to follow if pursuing a withdrawal, links to appropriate forms, withdrawal options to consider, and information about what happens after withdrawing from the University.
Academic Warning, Probation & Dismissal
Continued enrollment at Iowa State University depends upon an undergraduate student maintaining satisfactory academic progress towards a degree. To assist students, academic standards have been adopted to provide early identification and intervention for students experiencing academic difficulty.
Academic Progress Chart (PDF)
Any student who has been academically dismissed from the university and wants to return for a degree within the College of Engineering, needs to complete the College of Engineering Reinstatement petition in accordance with the university rules below.
- Reinstatement is not automatic. Students must submit a plan for academic success that identifies the causes of poor academic performance and demonstrates actions taken to avoid or eliminate these.
- Students can only be reinstated after at least one academic semester has elapsed since dismissal (summer session does not count as a semester).
- Students who have been dismissed from enrollment two or more times are not eligible for reinstatement until at least two academic semesters have elapsed since dismissal (summer session does not count as a semester).
- Juniors and seniors with extenuating circumstances may request a waiver of their required semesters of absence. This petition for an immediate reinstatement (without waiting out a semester), must be submitted to the college Academic Standards Committee no later than 5pm on the Wednesday prior to the start of the term.
College of Engineering Reinstatement Petition and Deadlines – You may fill in your name and email when entering this link to see materials needed for submission. Nothing will be sent to the committee to review unless you click-on “Finish” at the end.
- Reinstatement for Summer 2021 Term
- Early Review Deadline – Friday, March 5, 2021
- Absolute Deadline – Friday, April 9, 2021
- Reinstatement for Fall 2021 Term
- Early Review Deadline – Friday, April 9, 2021
- Absolute Deadline – Friday, July 9, 2021
Deadlines for receipt of the reinstatement materials will be at 5pm on the days listed above. It is advisable for international students to apply by the early review dates to allow enough time after the decision is made to process required Visa/I-20 paperwork to start classes on time.
Students requesting an exception to university academic policies (example: late class drop) should contact their academic advisor and submit policy waiver documentation to the College of Engineering Academic Standards committee using the petition link below (please note that petitions for basic program extensions and credit limit increases have a separate process listed below.)
Students who have been academically dismissed, must complete the Reinstatement paperwork and can include any policy waiver request in the reinstatement petition statement.
College of Engineering Petition for Policy Waiver – You may fill in your name and email when entering this link to see materials needed for submission. Nothing will be sent to the committee to review unless you click-on “Finish” at the end.
Late Semester Start Form (PDF) – If initiating class registration after the second week of classes.
Retroactive withdrawals should be submitted to the University Out of Term Withdrawal committee.
The University Catalog provides students with an appeal process for academic grievances, including grade changes. This appeal process can be found at the following:
Letters of appeal related to decisions made by the College of Engineering Academic Standards Committee should be addressed to: 1300 Marston Hall, Ames, IA 50011, firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 515-294-8355.
- Students should work with their academic advisor on the appeal.
- All appeals need to include new information that the committee should take into consideration in changing their decision.
- New paperwork should be submitted for the appeal process that includes a new petition letter, advising statement, and any supporting documentation for new extenuating circumstance information presented.
The steps in the appeal process to the Academic Standards committee can be found at the following university catalog link under the heading “Student Appeal”: