Academic Policies

Students must meet University, College and Departmental requirements for graduation. See official university catalog for specific details on rules and procedures:

University Catalog

Foreign Language Requirement

The College of Engineering requires all students to have either two years of a single world language in high school or two semesters of college credit in a single world language. The World Language Petition document provides further options for meeting this requirement.

 World Language Petition (PDF)

Basic Program

The College of Engineering Basic Program is a set of courses that provides a foundation common to all engineering curricula. Before enrolling in engineering courses at the 200-level or higher, students must have at least a 2.0 grade point average in the Basic Program courses and an ISU cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.

 Basic Program Rule

Contact: Paul Castleberry

University Withdrawal

Students requesting to withdraw from Iowa State University should reference the University Registrar Resource site. Resources include an action checklist for students to follow if pursuing a withdrawal, links to appropriate forms, withdrawal options to consider, and information about what happens after withdrawing from the University.

  University Withdrawal 

Academic Warning, Probation & Dismissal

Continued enrollment at Iowa State University depends upon an undergraduate student maintaining satisfactory academic progress towards a degree. To assist students, academic standards have been adopted to provide early identification and intervention for students experiencing academic difficulty.

Academic Progress and Probation

 Academic Progress Chart (PDF)


Any student who has been academically dismissed from the university and wants to return for a degree within the College of Engineering needs to complete the College of Engineering Reinstatement petition in accordance with the university rules below.


  • Reinstatement is not automatic. Students must submit a plan for academic success that identifies the causes of poor academic performance and demonstrates actions taken to avoid or eliminate these.
  • Students can only be reinstated after at least one academic semester has elapsed since dismissal (summer session does not count as a semester).
  • Students who have been dismissed from enrollment two or more times are not eligible for reinstatement until at least two academic semesters have elapsed since dismissal (summer session does not count as a semester).
  • Juniors and seniors with extenuating circumstances may request a waiver of their required semesters of absence. The petition for early reinstatement must be submitted to the college Academic Standards Committee no later than Thursday prior to the start of the term.

 College of Engineering Reinstatement Petition and Deadlines

Policy Waivers

Students requesting an exception to university academic rules (ex. late class drop, Basic Program extension) should contact their academic adviser and submit policy waiver documentation to the College of Engineering Academic Standards committee. Students who have been academically dismissed must complete the Reinstatement paperwork and can include any policy waiver request in the reinstatement petition statement.

College of Engineering Petition for Policy Waiver

 Late Semester Start Form (PDF) – If initiating class registration after the second week of classes.

 Petition for Policy Waiver—Basic Program Extension and/or Credit Limit Increase (PDF)

Retroactive withdrawals should be submitted to the University Out of Term Withdrawal committee.

Out of Term Withdrawal


The University Catalog provides students with an appeal process for academic grievances, including grade changes. This appeal process can be found at the following:

Academic Grievances Appeal

Letters of appeal related to decisions made by the College of Engineering Academic Standards Committee should be addressed to: 1300 Marston Hall, Ames, IA 50011,, Phone: 515-294-8355.

  • Students should work with their academic adviser on the appeal.
  • All appeals need to include new information that the committee should take into consideration in changing their decision.
  • New paperwork should be submitted for the appeal process that includes a new petition letter, advising statement, and any supporting documentation for new extenuating circumstance information presented.

The steps in the appeal process to the Academic Standards committee can be found at the following university catalog link under the heading “Student Appeal”:

Student Appeal

Contact Us

Engineering Student Services
1300 Marston Hall
Ames, Iowa 50011
(515) 294-7186
Fax: (515) 294-8993