Materials Science and Engineering
528 Bissell Rd.
Ames, IA 500111096
Dr. Cui joined Iowa State University in July 2015. He also holds a Scientist position at Ames Laboratory. His research focuses on ferroic materials including ferromagnetic, ferroelectric and ferroelastic for energy efficient and renewable energy applications. Example projects include magnetocaloric materials for hydrogen liquefaction, non-rare earth permanent magnets, high silicon steel for EV motor applications, cost effective shape memory metal for tire applications, etc. He also plays a major role in the field of combinatorial materials science by pioneer various high throughput bulk materials synthesis and characterization method. Before he joined ISU, he worked for Pacific Northwest National Laboratory for five years (2010-2015). There, he worked on developing novel materials and structures for energy applications. Major projects he participated in, or led include sodium metal halide energy storage system, CdTe based solar devices, novel thermoelastic cooling technology and rare-earth-less permanent magnet. Before he joined PNNL, he worked at GE Global Research Center from 2005 to 2010, where the fast-paced industrial research environment widened his research horizon. The projects that he made significant contribution include sodium battery, organic flow battery, CZT radiation detection device, metal oxide NOX sensors, solar water splitting semiconductor materials, hydrogen storage materials, and magnetocaloric materials. Dr. Cui has 9 patents granted, 81 peer reviewed papers, 5 conference papers and 8 internal technical reports.
- 2002 Ph.D. in Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2000 M. Eng. in Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2000 M. S. in Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1992 B. S. in Materials Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Selected Publications (10/81) https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=T6dJOeUAAAAJ&hl=en
- Corey, J. Barclay, K. Meinhardt, G. Whyatt, E. Thomsen, J. Holladay, J. Cui, I. Anderson, S. Wolf, “Methane Liquefaction with an Active Magnetic Regenerative Refrigerator,” Cryogenics, (2022) 103588.
- Pan, K.S. Phadke, Z. Li, G. Ouyang, T. Kim, L. Zhou, J. Slaughter, B. Bellaire, S. Ren, and J. Cui. “Sprayable copper and copper–zinc nanowires inks for antiviral surface coating.” RSC Advances 12 (2022) 6093-6098.
- Cui, Ormerod, J., Parker, D., Ott, R., Palasyuk, A., Mccall, S., Paranthaman, M. P., Kesler, M., McGuire, M., Nlebedim, I. C., Pan, C., Lograsso, T., 2022, Manufacturing Processes for Permanent Magnets: Part I – Sintering and Casting, JOM, 74 (2022) 1279-1295.
- Mohapatra, D.D. Johnson, J. Cui, X. Tan, Effect of electric hysteresis on fatigue behavior in antiferroelectric bulk ceramics under bipolar loading, J. Mater. Chem. C. 9 (2021) 15542–15551.
- Khakurel, M.F.N. Taufique, A. Roy, G. Balasubramanian, G. Ouyang, J. Cui, D.D. Johnson, R. Devanathan, Machine learning assisted prediction of the Young’s modulus of compositionally complex alloys, Scientific Reports. 11 (2021) 17149.
- Ouyang, B. Jensen, W. Tang, J. Schlagel, B. Hilliard, C. Pan, B. Cui, K. Dennis, D. Jiles, T. Monson, I. Anderson, M.J. Kramer, J. Cui, Near net shape fabrication of anisotropic Fe-6.5%Si soft magnetic materials, Acta Materialia. 201 (2020) 209–216.
- Cui, M. Kramer, L. Zhou, F. Liu, A. Gabay, G. Hadjipanayis, B. Balasubramanian, D. Sellmyer, Current progress and future challenges in rare-earth-free permanent magnets, Acta Materialia. 158 (2018) 118–137.
- Cui, J.-P. Choi, E. Polikarpov, M.E. Bowden, W. Xie, G. Li, Z. Nie, N. Zarkevich, M.J. Kramer, D. Johnson, Effect of composition and heat treatment on MnBi magnetic materials, Acta Materialia. 79 (2014) 374–381.
- Cui, Y. Wu, J. Muehlbauer, Y. Hwang, R. Radermacher, S. Fackler, M. Wuttig, I. Takeuchi, Demonstration of high efficiency elastocaloric cooling with large ΔT using NiTi wires, Applied Physics Letters. 101 (2012) 073904.
- Cui, Y.S. Chu, O.O. Famodu, Y. Furuya, J. Hattrick-Simpers, R.D. James, A. Ludwig, S. Thienhaus, M. Wuttig, Z. Zhang, I. Takeuchi, Combinatorial search of thermoelastic shape-memory alloys with extremely small hysteresis width, Nature Materials. 5 (2006) 286–290.