Materials Science and Engineering
528 Bissell Rd.
Ames, IA 500111096
Jun Cui joined the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at Iowa State University July 2015. He also holds a Senior Scientist position at Ames Laboratory (a U.S. Department of Energy National Laboratory). Prior to joining ISU and Ames Lab, Dr. Cui served as a Senior Scientist at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (2010-2015), worked as Lead Scientist for GE Global Research Center (2005-2010), and received post-doc training at University of Maryland (2002-2005).
Dr. Cui’s research focuses on ferroic materials and their applications in clean energy applications. Current research projects include (1) high fatigue life elastocaloric and shape memory materials for cooling and actuation; (2) magnetocaloric gas liquefaction; (3) high silicon content electrical steel for transformer and motors; (4) rare-earth-free permanent magnetic materials for motors; (5) high throughput alloy development for light weight structural materials and for harsh environmental applications.
Dr. Cui has extensive experience in leading and participating large federal and industrial research programs. In 2019, he led 4 projects funded by DOE/EERE. They are (1) Cost Effective 6.5% Silicon Steel Laminate for Electric Machines; (2) Magnetics for Ultra-High Speed Transformative Electric Motor (Multi-EM); (3) Maturation of Magnet Materials for Manufacturing; (4) Magnetocaloric Hydrogen/Oxygen Liquefaction. In addition, Dr. Cui collaborates with Dr. Duane Johnson and served as task leads for the project Design of High-Temperature Multi-Principal Element Alloys: accurate theory-guided design validated by high-throughput experiments.
Dr. Cui’s group manages extensive materials synthesis, sample preparation and characterization capability for the department and for the Ames Laboratory. His group consists of 4 staff scientists, 1 technician, 3 graduate students and 3 undergraduates students.
- 2002 Ph.D. in Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2000 M. Eng. in Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 2000 M. S. in Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- 1992 B. S. in Materials Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Selected Publications (10/65)
- Hou, H., Simsek, E., Ma, T., Johnson, N.S., Qian, S., Cissé, C., Stasak, D., Al Hasan, N., Zhou, L., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Levitas, V.I., Kramer, M.J., Zaeem, M.A., Stebner, A.P., Ott, R.T., Cui, J., Takeuchi, I., 2019. Fatigue-resistant high-performance elastocaloric materials made by additive manufacturing. Science, 366(6469), pp.1116-1121
- Mohapatra, P., Fan, Z., Cui, J. and Tan, X., 2019. Relaxor antiferroelectric ceramics with ultrahigh efficiency for energy storage applications. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 39(15), pp.4735-4742.
- Holladay, J., Teyber, R., Meinhardt, K., Polikarpov, E., Thomsen, E., Archipley, C., Cui, J. and Barclay, J., 2018. Investigation of bypass fluid flow in an active magnetic regenerative liquefier. Cryogenics, 93, pp.34-40.
- Hou, H., Finkel, P., Staruch, M., Cui, J. and Takeuchi, I., 2018. Ultra-low-field magneto-elastocaloric cooling in a multiferroic composite device. Nature communications, 9(1), p.4075.
- Cui, J., Kramer, M., Zhou, L., Liu, F., Gabay, A., Hadjipanayis, G., Balasubramanian, B. and Sellmyer, D., 2018. Current progress and future challenges in rare-earth-free permanent magnets. Acta Materialia, 158, pp.118-137.
- Pecharsky VK, Cui J, Johnson DD. (Magneto) caloric refrigeration: is there light at the end of the tunnel?. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A. 2016 Aug 13;374(2074):20150305.
- Cui, J., Choi, J.P., Li, G., Polikarpov, E., Darsell, J., Overman, N., Olszta, M., Schreiber, D., Bowden, M., Droubay, T. and Kramer, M.J., 2014. Thermal stability of MnBi magnetic materials. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 26(6), p.064212.
- Cui, J., Wu, Y., Muehlbauer, J., Hwang, Y., Radermacher, R., Fackler, S., Wuttig, M. and Takeuchi, I., 2012. Demonstration of high efficiency elastocaloric cooling with large ΔT using NiTi wires. Applied Physics Letters, 101(7), p.073904.
- Cui, J., Chu, Y.S., Famodu, O.O., Furuya, Y., Hattrick-Simpers, J., James, R.D., Ludwig, A., Thienhaus, S., Wuttig, M., Zhang, Z. and Takeuchi, I., 2006. Combinatorial search of thermoelastic shape-memory alloys with extremely small hysteresis width. Nature materials, 5(4), p.286.
- Cui, J., Shield, T.W. and James, R.D., 2004. Phase transformation and magnetic anisotropy of an iron–palladium ferromagnetic shape-memory alloy. Acta Materialia, 52(1), pp.35-47.