Office2070 Black Engr.
2529 Union Dr.
Ames, IA 500112030
- 2013-Present: Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2011-2013: Adjunct Assistant Professor , Department of Aerospace Engineering, Iowa State University
- 2008-2009: Research Engineer, Sukra Helitek, Ames, IA
- 2002-2004: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University
- 1996-1997: Lecturer, School of Aeronautics, Beijing University of Aero. & Astro., China
Awards and Honors
- Best Poster Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, USA, Nov. 3-8, 2013.
- Best Poster Award, International Conference on Thermochemical Conversion of Biomass, Chicago, IL, USA, Sep. 3-6, 2013.
- Best Paper Award, Japan Society of Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, 2000.
- Best Paper Award, Chinese Society of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China, 1995.
- Best Bachelor Thesis Award, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1993.
- PhD Mechanical Engineering, the University of Tokyo
- MS Aerospace Engineering, Beijing University of Aero. & Astro.
- BS Aerospace Engineering, Beijing University of Aero. & Astro.
- Thermochemical conversion of biomass (fast pyrolysis & solvolysis)
- Utilization of waste materials
- Biofuels and biobased products
- Xue, Yuan, Shuai Zhou, and Xianglan Bai. “Role of Hydrogen Transfer during Catalytic Copyrolysis of Lignin and Tetralin over HZSM-5 and HY Zeolite Catalysts.” ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering (2016).
- Xue, Yuan, Atul Kelkar, and Xianglan Bai. “Catalytic co-pyrolysis of biomass and polyethylene in a tandem micropyrolyzer.” Fuel 166 (2016): 227-236.
- Ghosh, Arpa, Robert C. Brown, and Xianglan Bai. “Production of solubilized carbohydrate from cellulose using non-catalytic, supercritical depolymerization in polar aprotic solvents.” Green Chemistry 18.4 (2016): 1023-1031.
- Kim, K. H., Bai, X., Cady, S., Gable, P., & Brown, R. “A quantitative investigation of free radicals in bio-oil and their potential role in condensed phase polymerization of cellulose- and lignin-derived pyrolysates.” Understanding the thermochemical conversion of biomass to overcome biomass recalcitrance (2015): 124.