- Materials Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Center for Nondestructive Evaluation
Main Office2220BM Hoover
Ames, IA 50011-2300
Ph.D, Physics, University of Surrey (1994)
B.S., Physics, University of Nottingham (1990)
- Nondestructive evaluation (NDE) and materials characterization
- Capacitive and microwave NDE sensors
- Broadband dielectric spectroscopy
Brief BiographyNicola received her Ph.D. degree for theoretical work in the field of eddy-current nondestructive evaluation (NDE). She moved to the Center for NDE, Iowa State University, in 1999 and in 2006 was appointed Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Iowa State University, receiving tenure and being promoted to the rank of full Professor in 2012. She served as a Senior Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation for two years and is presently Associate Editor of Measurement Science and Technology, published by the Institute of Physics, and Technical Editor of the Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, published by Springer. Nicola was awarded the Akinc Excellence in Teaching Award in 2011, awarded by the MSE Department, in recognition of outstanding teaching performance, and the Akinc Excellence in Research Award in 2012 in recognition of outstanding achievement in research.
- C. S. Daily, D. J. Barnard, R. W. Jones, J. F. McClelland and N. Bowler, Dielectric and Infrared Inference of Thermo-oxidative Aging of a Bismaleimide Composite Material, Composites Part B, 101, 167-175, 2016.
- N. Bowler and Shuaishuai Liu, Aging Mechanisms and Monitoring of Cable Polymers, Int. J. Prognostics and Health Management, 6, (Special Issue Nuclear Energy PHM) 029, pages: 12, 2015.
- R. T. Sheldon and N. Bowler, An Interdigital Capacitive Sensor for Nondestructive Evaluation of Wire Insulation, IEEE Sensors J., 14, 961-970, 2014.
- Y. Li, N. Bowler and D. B. Johnson, A Resonant Microwave Patch Sensor for Detection of Layer Thickness or Permittivity Variations in Multilayered Dielectric Structures, IEEE Sensors J., 11, 5-15, 2011.
- E. A. Stefanescu, X. Tan, Z. Lin, N. Bowler and M. R. Kessler, Multifunctional PMMA-Ceramic Composites as Structural Dielectrics, Polymer, 51, 5823-5832, 2010.
- C. Zhang, N. Bowler and C. C. H. Lo, Magnetic Characterization of Surface-Hardened Steel, J. Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 321, 3878-3887, 2009.
- N. Bowler, Designing Dielectric Loss at Microwave Frequencies using Multi-Layered Filler Particles in a Composite, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., 13, 703-711, 2006.
- I. J. Youngs, N. Bowler and O. Ugurlu, Dielectric Relaxation in Composites Containing Electrically Isolated Particles with Thin Semi-Continuous Metal Coatings, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 39, 1312-1325, 2006.
- N. Bowler and Y. Huang, Electrical Conductivity Measurement of Metal Plates using Broadband Eddy-Current and Four-Point Methods, Meas. Sci. Technol., 16, 2193-2200, 2005.
- J. R. Bowler and N. Harfield, Evaluation of Probe Impedance due to Thin-Skin Eddy-Current Interaction with Surface Cracks. IEEE Trans. Mag., 34(2), 515–523, 1998.