- Adjunct Assistant Professor, CCEE
- Associate Director, Bridge Engineering Center
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office2711 South Loop Drive Suite 4700
Ames, IA 50010
- Ph.D. Structural Engineering, Iowa State University, 2008
- M.A. Computer Science, Wayne State University, 2003
- M.S. Structural Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2000
- B.S. Structural Engineering, Tongji University, China, 1993
- Bridge structural health monitoring and damage detection
- Bridge/culvert load rating and posting, live load distribution and dynamic impact
- Bridge/culvert load testing and numerical analysis
- Applications of new construction materials
- Accelerated bridge construction
- Bridge maintenance and management
Honors & Awards
- Chinese Government Short Term Research Award, 2017
- Singapore Lee Foundation Conference Travel Award, 2000
- NTU Graduate Fellowship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1998-2000
- Deng, Y., B.M. Phares, P. Lu, “Lateral Live Load Distribution of Dual-Lane Vehicles with Non-Standard Axle Configurations”, 2016, accepted for publication in the ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering.
- Phares, B.M., A. Abu-Hawash, P. Lu, and T.J. Wipf “Overview of Monitoring Applications from the Iowa DOT Point of View”, ACI Structural Journal Special Publication: SP-292 Structural Health Monitoring Technologies, pp 10.1-10.20, 2013.
- Seo, J., B.M. Phares, P. Lu, T.J. Wipf, and J. Dahlberg “Bridge Rating Protocol Using Ambient Trucks Through Structural Health Monitoring System”, Engineering Structures, Volume 46, pp 569-580, January 2013.
- Phares, B.M., P. Lu, T.J. Wipf, L.F. Greimann, and J. Seo “Evolution of a Bridge Damage-Detection Algorithm”, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Number 2331, pp 71-80, Washington, DC, 2013.
- Phares, B.M., P. Lu, T.J., Wipf, L.F. Greimann, and J. Seo “Field Validation of a Statistical-Based Bridge Damage-Detection Algorithm”, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Volume 18, Number 11, pp. 1227-1238, 2013
- Lu, P., B.M. Phares, L.F. Greimann, and T.J. Wipf “Bridge Structural Health Monitoring System Using Statistical Control Chart Analysis”, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Number 2172, pp123-131, Washington,DC, 2010.