- Associate Professor
- Associate Chair of Operations
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Main Office3024 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011-2164
Interest AreasManufacturing system and process improvements is the common theme of Dr. Frank PetersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ research work. He has worked with a variety of industries to develop solutions to improve quality and deliverability. Specific examples in the metalcasting field include heat treatment control and optimization, rapid patternmaking, decreasing product variability, and reducing the measurement error associated with visual inspection. Other areas of interest include dimensional variability of products, metrology and fixturing.
- Hardis, R. and J. L.P. Jessop, F. E. Peters, and M. R. Kessler, “Cure kinetics characterization and monitoring of an epoxy resin using DSC, Raman Spectroscopy, and DEA,” Composites: Part A Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 49, pp. 100-109, June 2013.
- Peters, F., R. Stone, K. Watts, P. Zhong, and A. Clemons, “Visual Inspection of Casting Surfaces,” AFS Transactions, 2013.
- Daricilar, G., and F. Peters, “Assessment of Measurement Error for Visual Surface Inspections,” International Journal of Metalcasting, 5, No. 3, pp. 7-15, Summer 2011.
- Rajashekhar, S., F. Peters, and P. Molian, “Geometric Variability and Surface Finish of Weld Zones in Yb:YAG Laser Welded Advanced High Strength Steels,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 12, No. 2, pp.73-84, August 2010.
- Peters, F., R. Voigt, S. Ou, and C. Beckermann,  “Effect of Mold Expansion on Pattern Allowances in Sand Casting of Steel”, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 20, pp. 275-287.
- Ryan, S.M., J. Jackman, F. Peters, S. Olafsson, M. Huba,  “The Engineering Learning Portal for Problem Solving: Experience in a Large Engineering Economy Class,” The Engineering Economist, 49, pp. 1-20.
- VanVoorhis, T., F. Peters, and D. Johnson,  “Developing Software for Generating Pouring Schedules for Steel Foundries,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, 39, pp. 219-234.
- Sangnui, S. and F. Peters, “The Impact of Surface Errors on the Location and Orientation of a Cylindrical Workpiece in a Fixture,”  ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 123, pp. 325-330.