Alice A. Alipour
- Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office358 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of California-Irvine, 2010
- M.S. Earthquake Engineering, University of Tehran, 2006
- B.S. Civil Engineering, KNT University of Technology, 2004
- Resilience quantification methods for infrastructure systems under extreme events
- Multi-hazard design and assessment criteria for structures
- Reliability assessment of deteriorating infrastructure components
- Management of large-scale infrastructure systems
- Probabilistic performance evaluation of structures
- Post-disaster functionality of complex networks
- Damage identification and condition assessment
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2018
- Editor’s Choice Article, Journal of Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Taylor and Francis, 2014
- Hojjat Adeli Award for Innovation in Computing, Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Wiley-Blackwell, 2014
- US-Japan Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, 2014
- NSF ENHANCE Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2012-2014
- ASCE ExCEEd Fellowship, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2012
- Young Engineer Award, Orange County Engineering Council, 2012
- Award of Excellence in Engineering Education, Fanni Reunion Foundation, 2010
- Pedagogical Fellowship, University of California-Irvine, 2009-2010
- Shang, Y., Alipour, A., and Ye, A. (2018) “Selection of input motions for seismic analysis of scoured pile-supported bridge with simplified models,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 144, No. 8, 04018099.
- Cui, Z. and Alipour, A. (2018) “Concrete cover cracking and service life prediction of reinforced concrete structures in corrosive environments,” Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 159, 652-671.
- Alipour, A. (2017) “Enhancing resilience of bridges to extreme events by rapid damage assessment and response strategies,” Transportation Research Record Journal¸ Issue: 2604, 54-62.
- Alipour, A. and Shafei. B. (2016) “Seismic resilience of transportation networks with deteriorating components,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 142, N. 8.
- Alipour, A. and Shafei, B. (2016) “ Assessment of post-earthquake losses in a network of aging bridges,” ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, Vol. 22, No. 2.
- Testa, A.C., Furtado, M.N., and Alipour, A. (2015) " Resilience of coastal transportation networks faced with extreme climatic events," Transportation Research Record Journal, Issue: 2532, 29-36.
- Klinga, J. V., and Alipour, A. (2015) "Assessment of structural integrity of bridges under extreme scour conditions," Engineering Structures, Vol. 82, No. 1, pp. 55-71 (DOI: http://dx.doi/org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.07.021.
- Furtado, M.N., and Alipour, A. (2014) "Estimation of direct and indirect losses in transportation networks due to seismic events," Transportation Research Record Journal (In press).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "Reliability-based calibration of load and resistance factors for design of RC bridges under multiple extreme events: scour and earthquake," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 18, Issue 5, pp. 362-371 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000369).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "Capacity loss evaluation of reinforced concrete bridges located in extreme chloride-laden environments," Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 8-27 (Editor’s Choice Article) (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15732479.2010.525243).
- Shafei, B., Alipour, A., and Shinozuka, M. (2013) "A stochastic computational framework to investigate the initial stage of corrosion in reinforced concrete superstructures," Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 28, Issue 7, pp. 482-494 (Hojjat Adeli Award for Innovation in Computing) (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/mice.12019).
- Shafei, B., Alipour, A., and Shinozuka, M. (2012) "Prediction of corrosion initiation in reinforced concrete members subjected to environmental stressors: A finite-element framework," Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 42, Issue 2, pp. 365-376 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2011.11.001).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2012) "A multi-hazard framework for optimum life-cycle cost design of reinforced concrete bridges," Structural Seismic Design Optimization and Earthquake Engineering: Formulations and Applications, IGI Global, pp. 76-104 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4018/978-1-4666-1640-0.ch004).
- Alipour, A., Shafei, B., and Shinozuka, M. (2011) "Performance evaluation of deteriorating highway bridges located in high seismic areas," ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 16, Issue 5, pp. 597-611 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000197).
- Alipour, A. and Shafei, B. (2014) "Structural vulnerability measures for deteriorating reinforced concrete bridges in seismic prone areas," Maintenance and Safety of Aging Infrastructure, CRC Press. ISBN 9780415659420 - CAT# K16561.