Project Lead the Way (PLTW) – College Credits at ISU

Students planning to attend Iowa State may elect to either receive University of Iowa credit and request to transfer credits to Iowa State University at a later date, or transfer earned community college (EGR) credits directly to Iowa State University.

Students should request to have transcripts detailing earned credit forwarded to Iowa State Admissions for review.

Please note: At this time, Iowa State is not awarding PLTW credits through the online application at

What’s the difference between the credit earned at The University of Iowa (UI) and Iowa State University (ISU)?

Each college and university and each academic program (including those at UI and ISU) establishes its own curriculum policies for accepting transfer credits. It is up to the students to talk with their institutional adviser to determine how credit is accepted at their university of choice. A list of ISU College of Engineering advisers and contact information is available at

Introduction to Engineering Design will transfer into ISU College of Engineering as an equivalent/substitute for:

  • Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering as AgE170
  • Civil Engineering as CE170
  • Mechanical Engineering as ME170

Other remaining PLTW credits will be evaluated for technical elective credits.

Please note: PLTW courses are factored differently at every higher education institution, and there are differences at ISU due to different college course requirements and majors offered.

Students interested in transferring PLTW credits from a community college or other higher education are encouraged to contact ISU to learn how their PLTW credits may be transferred.  The College of Engineering can also discuss how this or other PLTW course credits will be applied to a student’s ISU transcript and degree program.

Who to contact?

  • Iowa State University PLTW Affiliate Director
    Camille Sloan Schroeder
    Phone: 515-294-4293

Project Lead the Way –