- University Professor
Main Office2212 Snedecor
Ames, IA 50011-1210
Other Office(s)3022 Black Engr
- PhD, Statistics, Michigan State University, 1975
- MS, Mathematics, Iowa State University, 1973
- BS, Mathematics, Iowa State University, 1971
Brief BiographyStephen B. Vardeman is a University Professor of Statistics and Industrial Engineering and Liberal Arts and Sciences Kingland Data Analytics Faculty Fellow at Iowa State University.
He is the author of Statistics for Engineering Problem Solving (ISBN 0-534-92871-4) published in 1994 by PWS Publishing (also published by IEEE as ISBN 0-7803-1118-3), winner of the (biennial) 1994 ASEE Meriam-Wiley Distinguished Author Award for an outstanding new engineering textbook. He is coauthor (with J. Marcus Jobe) of Statistical Quality Assurance for Engineers (ISBN 0-471-15937-3) published in 1999 by John Wiley and Sons , Basic Engineering Data Collection and Analysis (ISBN 0534-36957X) published in 2001 by Duxbury/Thomson Learning, and Statistical Methods for Quality Assurance: Basics, Measurement, Control, Capability, and Improvement (ISBN 978-0-387-79105-0) published in 2016 by Springer-Verlag New York.
He is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association, an Elected Member of the International Statistical Institute and was Editor of Technometrics from 1993 through 1995. His current professional interests include Statistical Machine Learning, Business and Engineering Analytics, Engineering and Natural Science applications of Statistics, Statistics and Metrology, Directional Data Analysis, Defense and Homeland Security applications of Statistics, Industrial applications, Statistical Education, and the development of new Statistical Theory and Methods.
- Estimating a service life distribution based on production counts and a failure database. Journal of Quality Technology, 2017, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. . With Ken Ryan and Mike Hamada.
- One-sample Bayes inference for a new family of distributions on equivalence classes of 3-D orientations with applications to materials science. Technometrics, 2016, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 214-224, DOI:10.1080/00401706.2015.1017610. With Chuanlong Du and Dan Nordman.
- Rejoinder (to Steiner and van den Heuvel comments on the previous paper). Quality Engineering, 2016, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 26-27. DOI:10.1080/08982112.2015.1100445.
- Modern measurement, probability, and statistics: Some generalities and multivariate illustrations. (Invited paper at 2015 Stu Hunter Research Conference.) Quality Engineering, 2016, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 3-16, DOI:10.1080/08982112.2015.1100440.
- A wrapped trivariate normal distribution for 3-D rotations and Bayes inference. Statistica Sinica, 2014, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 897-917, DOI:10.5705/ss.2011.235. With Yu Qiu and Dan Nordman. One-sample Bayes inference for existing symmetric distributions on 3-d rotations. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 2014, Vol. 71, pp. 520-529, DOI:10.1016/j.csda.2013.02.004. With Yu Qiu and Dan Nordman. An introduction to statistical issues and methods in metrology for physical science and engineering. Journal of Quality Technology, 2014, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 33-62. With Mike Hamada, Tom Burr, Max Morris, Joanne Wendelberger, J. Marcus Jobe, Leslie Moore, and Huaiqing Wu.
- A pseudo-likelihood analysis for incomplete warranty data with a time usage rate variable and production counts. IIE Transactions, 2014, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 1-13, DOI:10.1080/0740817X.2013.770185. With Yu Qiu and Dan Nordman. (IIE Transactions 2015 Quality and Reliability Engineering Paper Award Honorable Mention)
- Bayes statistical analyses for particle sieving studies. Technometrics, 2013, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 224-231, DOI: 10.1080/00401706.2013.765304. With Norma Leyva, Garritt Page, and Joanne Wendelberger.