- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1997
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1993
- Laser imaging and spectroscopy for reacting fluid flow and sprays
- Biorenewable fuels
- Biomass pyrolysis
- Combustion, power and propulsion
- Hypersonic vehicles
- Internal combustion engines
Brief BiographyDr. Meyer completed his doctoral work at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2000, having held graduate fellowships from the National Science Foundation and Ford Foundation, as well as being selected for the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Graduate Award in Fluid Dynamics. His dissertation work focused on laser techniques for measuring turbulent mixing at the molecular scale, and he subsequently focused on the study of combusting flows while working as a research scientist at the Air Force Research Laboratory. He joined Iowa State University as an assistant professor in 2006. He currently advises ten graduate students for studies of fundamental reacting fluid dynamics, multi-phase reacting systems, and alternative fuels for a variety of power/propulsion devices. He continues to develop and utilize advanced laser techniques in this work, recently winning a National Science Foundation CAREER Award for research on ultrafast spectroscopy of combustion and plasma systems. Dr. Meyer serves as the Coordinator of the Department of Mechanical Engineering’s Clean Energy Technologies Program. His scientific accomplishments are documented in over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles and 2 book chapters published or in press. His publications include works in Applied Physics Letters, Combustion and Flame, the Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Reviews in Analytical Chemistry, Optics Express, Optics Letters, and the Handbook of Combustion. He has also co-authored over 80 conference papers and submitted 2 provisional patent applications. Dr. Meyer recently won the Young Researcher of the Year Award in Advanced Optical Technologies from the Erlangen Graduate School in Advanced Optical Technologies (SAOT), in Erlangen Germany, where he serves as Guest Professor. He has been recognized as an Associate Fellow of the AIAA and was 2012 General Co-Chair for the Optical Society of America’s Conference on Laser Applications to Chemical, Security, and Environmental Analysis. His research at Iowa State University is currently funded by the National Science Foundation, Air Force Research Laboratory, the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Army Research Office, Department of Energy, and the State of Iowa’s Power Fund.
- M. Linne, D. Sedarsky, T. Meyer, J. Gord, and C. Carter, "Ballistic imaging in the near-field of an effervescent spray" Experiments in Fluids, published online April 29, 2010.
- J.D. Miller, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, H.U. Stauffer, and J.R. Gord, "Hybrid fs/ps coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering for high-speed gas-phase thermometry" Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, pp. 2430-2432, 2010.
- P.S. Hsu, A.K. Patnaik, J.R. Gord, T.R. Meyer, W. Kulatilaka, and S. Roy, "Investigation of optical fibers for coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (CARS) spectroscopy in reacting flows" Experiments in Fluids, Published online, Sept. 1, 2010.
- J.B. Schmidt, Z.D. Schaefer, T.R. Meyer, S. Roy, S.A. Danczyk, and J.R. Gord, Ã¢â‚¬ÂUltrafast Time-Gated Ballistic-Photon Imaging and Shadowgraphy in Optically Dense Rocket Sprays" Appl. Opt., Vol. 48 (4), pp. B137-B144, 2009 (selected as cover feature).
- J.D. Miller, M.N. Slipchenko, T.R. Meyer, N. Jiang, W.R. Lempert, and J.R. Gord, "Ultrahigh-Frame-Rate OH Fluorescence Imaging in Turbulent Flames Using a Burst-Mode Optical Parametric OscillatorÃ¢â‚¬Â, Opt. Lett., Vol. 34 (9), pp. 1309-1311, 2009.
- D. Sedarsky, J. Gord, C. Carter, T. Meyer, and M. Linne, "Fast-framing ballistic imaging of velocity in an aerated spray" Opt. Lett., Vol. 34(18), pp. 2748-2750, 2009.
- S. Kostka, S. Roy, P.J. Lakusta, T.R. Meyer, M.W. Renfro, J.R. Gord, and R. Branam, "Comparison of Line-Center and Line-Scanning Excitation in Two-Color Laser-Induced Fluorescence Thermometry of OH" Appl. Opt., Vol. 48 (32), pp. 6332-6343, 2009.
- J.R. Gord, T.R. Meyer, and S. Roy, "Applications of Ultrafast Lasers for Optical Measurements in Combusting Flows" Ann. Rev. Anyl. Chem. (In press), 2008.
- N. Jiang, W.R. Lempert, M.N. Slipchekno, J.D. Miller, T.R. Meyer, and J.R. Gord, "High-Power UV Lasers: Tunable Ultraviolet Burst-Mode Laser System Produces High-Energy Pulses" Laser Focus World, Vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 79-83, Aug. 2008.
- N. Jiang, W.R. Lempert, G.L. Switzer, T.R. Meyer, and J.R. Gord, "A Narrow Linewidth Megahertz-Repetition-Rate Optical Parametric Oscillator for High-Speed Flow and Combustion Diagnostics" Appl. Opt., Vol. 47, pp. 64-71, 2008.
- T.R. Meyer, S. Roy, and J.R. Gord, "Improving Signal-to-Interference Ratio in Rich Hydrocarbon-Air Flames Using Picosecond Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering" Appl. Spectr., Vol. 61, No. 11, pp. 1135-1140, 2007 (also cover feature, p. 248A).
- E. Corporan, M.J. DeWitt, V. Belovich, R. Pawlik, A.C. Lynch, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "Emissions Studies of a Turbine Engine and Research Combustor Burning a Natural Gas-Derived Fischer-Tropsch Jet Fuel" Energy and Fuels, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 2615-2626, 2007. T.R. Meyer, G.B. King, M. Gluesenkamp, and J.R. Gord, "High-Speed Measurement of Temperature and Lifetime-Corrected OH Laser-Induced Fluorescence in Unsteady Flames" Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 16, pp. 2221-2223, 2007.
- R.P. Lucht, S. Roy, T.R. Meyer, and J.R. Gord, "Femtosecond Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Measurement of Gas Temperatures from Frequency-Spread Dephasing of the Raman Coherence" Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, pp. (251112) 1-3, 2006.
- T.R. Meyer, J.C. Dutton, and R.P. Lucht, "Coherent Structures and Turbulent Molecular Mixing in Gaseous Planar Shear Layers" J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 558, pp. 179-205, 2006.
- D. Sedarsky, M. Paciaroni, M.A. Linne, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "Velocity Imaging for the Liquid-Gas Interface in the Near Field of an Atomizing Spray: Proof of Concept" Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 7, pp. 906-908, 2006.
- S. Roy, T.R. Meyer, and J.R. Gord, "Time-Resolved Dynamics of Resonant and Nonresonant Broadband Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Signals" Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, No. 1, pp. (264103) 1-3, 2005.
- T.R. Meyer, S. Roy, T.N. Anderson, R. Barron-Jimenez, R.P. Lucht, and J.R. Gord, "10-kHz Detection of CO2 at 4.5 microns Using Diode-Laser-Based Difference-Frequency Generation" Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 22, pp. 3087-3089, 2005.
- T.R. Meyer, S. Roy, T.N. Anderson, J.D. Miller, V.R. Katta, R.P. Lucht, and J.R. Gord, "Measurements of Temperature and OH Mole Fraction Up to 20 kHz by Using a Diode-Laser-Based UV Absorption Sensor" Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, No. 31, pp. 6729-6740, 2005.
- M.A. Linne, M. Paciaroni, J.R. Gord, and T.R. Meyer, "Ballistic Imaging of the Liquid Core for a Steady Jet in Crossflow" Appl. Opt., Vol. 44, No. 31, pp. 6627-6634, 2005.
- T.R. Meyer, S. Roy, R.P. Lucht, and J.R. Gord, "Dual-pump dual-broadband CARS for exhaust-gas temperature and CO2-O2-N2 mole-fraction measurements in model gas-turbine combustors" Combust. Flame, Vol. 142, No. 1-2, pp. 52-61, 2005.