- Assistant Professor
- Materials Science and Engineering
Main Office2220BD Hoover
Ames, IA 50011
- Project Leader, Dow Chemical, 2016
- Postdoc, MIT, 2013
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2009
- Coating Materials
Dr. Shan Jiang obtained his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana and Champaign, working with Professor Steve Granick on Janus particles. After graduation, he furthered his study at MIT Langer lab as a postdoc. In year 2013, he joined the Dow Chemical Company as an application scientist. He was Dow Certified Green Belt Project Leader and worked on binder platform development for different products. Dr. Jiang has published one U.S. patent and more than 30 peer reviewed articles in journals, such as: Science, Nature Biotechnology, Physical Review Letters, Nano Letters and Advanced Materials. His research has been cited more than 2,800 times. He is the chief editor for the book Janus Particle Synthesis, Self- assembly and Applications. He has also refereed more than 100 journal articles. Dr. Jiang was awarded with the Racheff-Intel Award for Outstanding Graduate Research. He also received Conference Travel Awards from Iowa State, the MIT Postdoctoral Association and the University of Illinois. The technology he participated in developing at Dow received the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award and R&D 100 Award. He is the recipient of the 2015 ACS Younger Chemists Committee Leadership Development Award, and is a Franklin Institute Science Engagement Fellow.
BOOK & PATENT
- S. Jiang, S. Granick, “Janus particle synthesis, self-assembly and applications,” London: Royal Society of Chemistry, ISBN-13: 978-1849734233 (2012).
- S. Jiang, L. Hong and S. Granick, "System for forming Janus particles," US & International Patent WO/2008/118511.
PEER-REVIEWD JOURNAL ARTICLES
- S. Jiang*, A. Maurice, J. Bohling, D. Fasano, A.V. Dyk, S. Brownell, “Design Colloidal Particle Morphology and Self-assembly for Coating Applications,” Chem. Soc. Rev., 46, 3792 (2017).
- S. Demirci, S. Kinali-Demirci, “A Switchable Polymer Brush System for Antifouling and Controlled Detection,” S. Jiang*, Chem. Comm., 53, 3713 (2017).
- S. Jiang, J. Yan, J.K. Whitmer, S.M. Anthony, E. Luijten, and S. Granick, “Orientationally Glassy Crystals of Janus Spheres,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 218301 (2014).
- J. E. Dahlman, C. Barnes, O.F. Khan, A. Thiriot, S. Jhunjunwala, T.E. Shaw, Y. Xing, H.B. Sager, G. Sahay, L. Speciner, A. Bader, R.L. Bogorad, H. Yin, T. Racie, Y. Dong, S. Jiang et al., “In vivo endothelial siRNA delivery using polymeric nanoparticles with low molecular weight,” Nat. Nanotechnol. 9, 648 (2014)
- S. Jiang, A.A. Eltoukhy, K.T. Love, R. Langer, D.G. Anderson, “Lipidoid-coated Iron Oxide Nanoparticles for Efficient DNA and siRNA delivery,” Nano Lett. 13, 1059 (2013).
- Q. Chen, J. Whitmer, S. Jiang, S. Bae, E. Luijten, S. Granick, “Supracolloidal reaction kinetics of Janus spheres,” Science 331, 199 (2011).
- S. Jiang, Q. Chen, M. Tripathy, E. Luijten, K. S. Schweizer, S. Granick, “Janus particle synthesis and assembly,” Adv. Mater. 22, 1060 (2010).
- S. Granick, S. Jiang, Q. Chen, “Janus particles,” Physics Today 62, 68 (2009).
- S. Jiang, S. Granick, “A simple method to produce trivalent colloidal particles,” Langmuir 25, 8915 (2009).
- S. Jiang, M.J. Schultz, Q. Chen, J.S. Moore, S. Granick, “Solvent-free synthesis of Janus colloidal particles,” Langmuir 24, 10073 (2008).
- S. Jiang, S. Granick, “Controlling the geometry (Janus balance) of amphiphilic colloidal particles,” Langmuir 24, 2438 (2008).
- S. Jiang, S.C. Bae, S. Granick, “PDMS melts on mica studied by confocal Raman scattering,” Langmuir 24, 1489 (2008).
- S. Jiang, S. Granick, “Janus balance of amphiphilic colloidal particles,” J. Chem. Phys. 127, 161102 (2007).
- S. Jiang, L. Hong, S. Granick, “A simple method to produce Janus colloidal particles in large quantity,” Langmuir 22, 9495 (2006).
- S. Jiang, L. Wang, H.J. Yu, Y. Chen, Q. Shi, “Study on antibacterial behavior of insoluble quaternary ammonium,” J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 99, 2389 (2006).
- S. Jiang, L. Wang et al., “Preparation of crosslinked polystyrenes with quaternary ammonium and their antibacterial behavior,” React. Funct. Polym 62, 209 (2005).
- S. Jiang, L. Wang, “Simulation of Molecular Weight Distribution Using a New kinetic Model of Ethene Polymerization Catalyzed by Cp2ZrCl2/MAO,” Macromol. Theory Simul. 11, 871 (2002).
- S. Jiang, L. Wang, P.Y. Zhang, L.X. Feng, “New Kinetic Model of Ethene Polymerization with Cp2ZrCl2/MAO Catalyst,” Macromol. Theory Simul. 11, 77 (2002).