- Associate Professor
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Main Office3021 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011-2164
- PhD, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2002
- MS, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1998
- BS, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1996
Brief BiographyDr. Rivero’s general area of research is manufacturing, and her particular focus is on designing bulk fabrication approaches of novel material systems or structures. A wide array of materials and structures with extraordinary properties have been designed, fabricated, and characterized in laboratory environments. However, the transition of these materials from a laboratory to an industrial environment poses considerable challenges related to preserving the materials characteristics while achieving fabrication efficiency. Therefore, the aim of Dr. Rivero’s Interdisciplinary Manufacturing Engineering and Design (iMED) Laboratory is to design manufacturing processes that will support the transition of advanced materials fabrication from the laboratory to large-scale manufacturing processing facilities. In doing so, traditional fabrication procedures are explored and their capabilities characterized to assess their viability for reproducing laboratory designed materials systems and structures. In her laboratory, Concepts derived from her research primarily emphasize biomedical applications, such as scaffolds for the replacement of cartilage, and material systems for local drug delivery. Her work has also been applied to the development of material systems for aerospace and automotive components. Prior to joining ISU, Dr. Rivero was a member of the Industrial Engineering faculty at Texas Tech University (TTU) from 2002 to 2012. During 2010-2012 Dr. Rivero was President of the Manufacturing & Design Division of the Institute of Industrial Engineers. She has received the TTU Alumni Association for 2007, the 2009 SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, and Hispanic Association of Women (Lubbock, Texas) 2012 Woman of the Year Award.
- Allaf, R.M., Rivero, Iris V., Abidi, N. and Ivanov, I.N. (in print), Porous Poly(ε-caprolactone) Scaffolds for Load-Bearing Tissue Regeneration: Solventless Fabrication and Characterization. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B.
- Das, S., Wajid, A.S., Wilting, M.D., Rivero, Iris V., Green, M.J., (2012) “Electrospinning of Polymer Nanofibers Loaded with Noncovalently Functionalized Graphene,” J. of Applied Polymer Science, doi: 10.1002/app.38694.
- Das, S., Wajid, A.S., Wilting, M.D., Rivero, Iris V., Green, M.J., 2012, “Electrospinning of Polymer Nanofibers Loaded with Noncovalently Functionalized Graphene,” accepted in J. of Applied Polymer Science.
- Allaf, R.M. and Rivero, Iris V., 2011, “Fabrication and Characterization of Interconnected Porous Biodegradable Poly(ε-caprolactone) Load Bearing Scaffolds.” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 22(8): 1843-1853.
- Allaf, R.M., Rivero, Iris V., Spearman, S.S., and Hope-Weeks, L.J., 2011, “On the Preparation of As-Produced and Purified Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Samples for Standardized X-ray Diffraction Characterization.” Materials Characterization. 62(9): 857-864.
- Levitas, V., Pantoya, M. Chauhan, G., and Rivero, Iris V., 2009, “Effect of the Alumina Shell on the Melting Temperature Depression for Aluminum Nanoparticles,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 113 (32): 14088-14096.
- Hatamleh, O., Rivero, Iris V., and Swain, S.E., 2009, “An Investigation Residual Stress Characterization and Relaxation in Peened Friction Stir Welded Aluminum-Lithium Alloy Joints,” Materials & Design. 30 (9): 3367-3373.
- Rivero, Iris V., Pantoya, M., Rajamani, K., and Hsiang, S., 2009, “Correlation of Reactant Particle Size on Residual Stresses of Nanostructured NiAl generated by Self Propagating High-Temperature Synthesis,” Journal of Materials Research. 24 (6): 2079-2088.
- Hatamleh, O., Rivero, Iris V., and Maredia, A., 2008, “Residual Stresses in Friction Stir Welded 2195 and 7075 Aluminum Alloys,” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A. 39 (12): 2867-2874.
- Rivero, Iris V., and Ruud C. O., 2008, “Determination of the Accuracy of Phase Analysis Measurements on Spherical Surfaces through X-Ray Diffraction,” NDT & E International. 41 (6): 434-440.