- Materials Science and Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Center for Nondestructive Evaluation
Main Office2220BM Hoover
Ames, IA 50011-2300
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Surrey, UK, 1994
- B.S. Physics, University of Nottingham, UK, 1990
- Nondestructive evaluation (NDE) and materials characterization
- Capacitive and microwave NDE sensors
- Broadband dielectric spectroscopy
Nicola received her Ph.D. degree for theoretical work in the field of eddy-current nondestructive evaluation (NDE). She moved to the Center for NDE, Iowa State University, in 1999 and in 2006 was appointed Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Iowa State University, receiving tenure and being promoted to the rank of full Professor in 2012. She served as a Senior Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation for two years and is presently Associate Editor of Measurement Science and Technology, published by the Institute of Physics, and Technical Editor of the Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, published by Springer. Nicola was awarded the Akinc Excellence in Teaching Award in 2011, awarded by the MSE Department, in recognition of outstanding teaching performance, and the Akinc Excellence in Research Award in 2012 in recognition of outstanding achievement in research.
- Y. Li and N. Bowler, Traveling Waves on Three-Dimensional Arrays ofTwo Different Magnetodielectric Spheres Arbitrarily Arranged on a Simple Tetragonal Lattice, IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., 60, 2727-2739, 2012.
- T. Chen and N. Bowler, Analysis of a Capacitive Sensor for the Evaluation of Circular Cylinders with a Conductive Core, Meas. Sci. Technol., 23, 045102 (10pp), 2012.
- N. Bowler, Topical Review: Four-Point Potential Drop Measurements for Materials Characterization, Meas. Sci. Technol., 22, 012001 (11pp), 2011.
- Y. Li, N. Bowler and D. B. Johnson, A Resonant Microwave Patch Sensor for Detection of Layer Thickness or Permittivity Variations in Multilayered Dielectric Structures, IEEE Sensors J., 11, 5-15, 2011.
- T. Chen and N. Bowler, Analysis of a Concentric Coplanar Capacitive Sensor for Nondestructive Evaluation of Multi-layered Dielectric Structures, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., 17, 1307-1318, 2010.
- L. Li, N. Bowler, M. R. Kessler and S.-H. Yoon, Dielectric Response of PTFE and ETFE Wiring Insulation to Thermal Exposure, IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., 17, 1234-1241, 2010.
- C. Zhang, N. Bowler and C. C. H. Lo, Magnetic Characterization of Surface-Hardened Steel, J. Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 321, 3878-3887, 2009.
- N. Bowler, Designing Dielectric Loss at Microwave Frequencies using Multi-Layered Filler Particles in a Composite, IEEE Trans.Dielectr. Electr. Insul., 13, 703-711, 2006.
- I. J. Youngs, N. Bowler, K. P. Lymer and S. Hussain, Dielectric Relaxation inMetal-Coated Particles: the Dramatic Role of Nano-Scale Coatings, J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., 38, 188-201, 2005.
- N. Bowler, Analytical solution for the electric field in a half-space conductor due to alternating current injected at the surface, J. Appl. Phys., 95(1), 344-348, 2004