- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Main Office3032 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011-2164
- DS, Engineering Management, George Washington University
- MS, Operations Research, Naval Postgraduate School
- BS, Liberal Arts and Sciences, University of Illinois
- Identifying efficiencies for federal agencies and the department of defense via optimization techniques
- Transportation infrastructure analyses
- Renewable energy feasibility analysis and applications
- “California Statewide Plug-In Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Assessment,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory Technical Report, May 2014.
- “Targeting Net Zero Energy at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar: Assessment and Recommendations,” National Renewable Energy Laboratory Technical Report, December 2010.
- “Improving Energy Efficiency in a Deployed Environment,” Air Force Energy Assessment Team report, 29 March, 2010
- Helwig, M. (2009). “Reducing Federal Petroleum Use: Mandates and Strategies,” FEMP FOCUS Winter 2009, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. January.
- Helwig, M and Deason, J. (2007). “The Energy Policy Act of 1992 and Executive Order 13149: Proposed compliance strategies and process improvements for federal agencies,” Energy Policy. May.
- Helwig, M. (1991). “Optimal Allocation of Air-to-Air Missiles for the U.S. Navy in the 1990s,” Naval Postgraduate School master’s degree thesis — classification SECRET
- IE 305 (Engineering Economic Analysis)
- IE 563 (Engineering and Systems Management)
- IE 570 (Systems Engineering and Project Management)
- IE 441 (Industrial Engineering Design)