- Assistant Professor
- Materials Science and Engineering
Main Office2220BN Hoover
Ames, IA 50011
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University (with Prof. Carmel Majidi), 2015
- Senior Research Engineer, 3M Corporate Research Laboratory, 2013
- Ph.D. in Polymer Science and Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA (with Prof. Alfred Crosby), 2013
- B.S.E. in Materials Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2008
- Soft materials
- Bio-inspired adhesives and materials
- Multifunctional composites
- Soft electronics and robotics
Professor Bartlett’s research lies at the intersection of soft materials, mechanics, and multifunctional composites. Through precise experiments and analyses, we study and exploit the fascinating interplay between material composition, geometry, and programmed deformations. This interdisciplinary and biomimetic approach aims to create soft materials with unconventional properties, including ‘smart’ adhesives, deformable electronics and robotics, and adaptive materials. This research is driven by the synergy between fundamental science and applied engineering to illuminate basic physical mechanisms that guide the creation of novel materials and structures for crucial technologies.
Selected Publications and Patents
- Bartlett, M.D.*, Fassler, A.*, Kazem, N., Markvicka, E.J., Majidi, C. Stretchable, High-k Dielectric Elastomers through Liquid Metal Inclusions. Advanced Materials, 2016, 28, 3726–3731.
- Gilman, C.A., Imburgia, M.J., Bartlett, M.D., King, D.R., Crosby, A.J., Irschick, D.J. Geckos as Springs: Mechanics Explain Across-Species Scaling of Adhesion. PLoS ONE, 2015, 10(9):e0134604.
- Bartlett, M.D., Crosby, A.J. Material Transfer Controlled by Elastomeric Layer Thickness. RSC Materials Horizons, 2014, 1, 507-512.
- King, D.R., Bartlett, M.D., Gilman, C.A., Irschick, D.J., Crosby, A.J. Creating Gecko-like Adhesives for ‘Real World’ Surfaces. Advanced Materials, 2014, 26, 4345-4351.
- Significant Press Coverage
- Bartlett, M.D., Crosby, A.J. High Capacity, Easy Release Adhesives from Renewable Materials. Advanced Materials, 2014, 26, 3405-3409.
- Bartlett, M.D., Crosby, A.J. Scaling Normal Adhesion Force Capacity with a Generalized Parameter. Langmuir, 2013, 29, 11022-11027.
- Bartlett, M.D., Croll, A.B., Crosby, A.J. Designing Bio-Inspired Adhesives for Shear Loading: From Simple Structures to Complex Patterns. Advanced Functional Materials, 2012, 22, 4985-4992.
- Bartlett, M.D., Croll, A.B., King, D.R., Irschick, D.J., Crosby, A.J. Looking Beyond Fibrillar Features to Scale Gecko-Like Adhesion. Advanced Materials, 2012, 24, 1078-1083.
- Featured on inside cover, Significant Press Coverage
- Crosby, A.J., Bartlett, M.D., Irschick, D.J., King, D.R. Devices for Application and Load Bearing and Method of Using the Same. US Patent No. 9,182,075.
- Crosby, A.J., Bartlett, M.D., Double and Multi-Sided Adhesive Devices. US Patent No. 9,395,038.