In Ho Cho
- Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office326 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering/Minor in Computational Science and Engineering, California Institute of Technology-Pasadena, 2012
- M.S. Civil, Urban and Geosystem Engineering, Seoul National University, 2003
- B.S. Engineering, Seoul National University, 2001
- Big Data-Oriented Engineering and Science
- High Performance Computing/Parallel Computing Algorithms
- Parallel Multi-Scale Finite Element Analysis
- Earthquake Engineering
- Engineering Seismology
- Structural Engineering for Soft Micro-Robotics
Brief BiographyDr. Cho is an assistant professor at Iowa State University's Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering. He began at Iowa State University in 2014. His research focuses on novel big data approaches to traditional engineering fields, including earthquake engineering and structural engineering. Advanced parallel computing technology and cutting-edge multi-scale finite element analyses are his primary research focuses. Dr. Cho is actively applying theories of structures and computational engineering to the areas of micro soft robotics.
Honors and Awards
- Finalist of the 2015 World Technology Network Award, New York, NY, 2015
- Black & Veatch Building a World of Difference Faculty Fellowships in Engineering, ISU, 2014-2017
- Willis Research Network Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Colorado, 2012-2014
- G. W. Housner Fellowship, California Institute Technology, 2007-2012
- SEAOSC (Structural Engineers Association of Southern California) Scholarship, 2009
ResearchISU Presidential Initiative for Interdisciplinary Research in Data Driven Science (Co-Principal Investigator)
- New faculty profile
- NBC News: Structural Engineering for Soft Micro Robotics
- World Technology Network
- In Ho Cho and Keith Porter, 2016. Modeling Building Classes using Moment Matching, Earthquake Spectra, 32(1), 285-301. [doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1193/071712EQS239M].
- Jungwook Paek*, Qiang Li*, In Ho Cho, Jaeyoun Kim, 2016. Minimally Intrusive Optical Micro-Strain Sensing in Bulk Elastomer using Embedded Fabry-Perot Etalon, Micromachines 2016, 7(4), 61 [doi:10.3390/mi7040061].
- Jungwook Paek*, In Ho Cho, and Jaeyoun Kim, 2015. Microrobotic tentacles with spiral bending capability based on shape-engineered elastomeric microtubes, Scientific Reports, Article number: 10768 [DOI:10.1038/srep10768].
- In Ho Cho and Keith Porter, 2014. Multilayered Grouping Parallel Algorithm for Multiple-level Multiscale Analyses, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 100(12), pp. 914-932. [DOI: 10.1002/nme.4791].
- In Ho Cho and Keith Porter, 2014. Structure-Independent Parallel Platform for Nonlinear Analyses of General Real-Scale RC Structures under Cyclic Loading, ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering 140, SPECIAL ISSUE: Computational Simulation in Structural Engineering, A4013001. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000871].
- In Ho Cho and John F. Hall, 2014. General Confinement Model based on Nonlocal Information, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics 140(6). [10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000724].
- In Ho Cho and Keith Porter, 2014. Three-Stage Multiscale Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis Platform for Tackling Building Classes, Earthquake Spectra 31(2), [doi: 10.1193/092712EQS293M].
- In Ho Cho, 2013. Virtual Earthquake Engineering Laboratory Capturing Nonlinear Shear, Localized Damage and Progressive Buckling of Bar, Earthquake Spectra 29(1), 103-126. [doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1193/1.4000095].
- In Ho Cho and John F. Hall, 2012. Parallelized Implicit Nonlinear FEA Program for Real Scale RC Structures under Cyclic Loading, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering 26(3), 356-365. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000138].