David C Jiles
- Distinguished Professor and Chair
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering (Courtesy)
- Materials Science and Engineering
Main Office2215 Coover
Ames, IA 50011-3060
- DSc, Physics and Space Research, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom (1990)
- PhD, Applied Physics, University of Hull, United Kingdom (1979)
- MSc, Applied Physics, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom (1976)
- BSc, Physics and Mathematics, University of Exeter, United Kingdom (1975)
- Nonlinear and hysteretic behavior of magnetic materials; magnetoelasticity, magnetostriction, and magnetomechanical effects; novel magnetic materials; applications of magnetic measurements to nondestructive evaluation
- Strategic Research Area: Materials, Devices and Circuits
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Anson Marston Distinguished Professor
- Chairman, American Physical Society Topical
- Group on Magnetism and its Applications (1996-97, 1997-98)
- Selected for "Who's Who in America" (2001)
- Selected for "Who's Who in the World" (2000, 2001, 2002)
- Selected for "Who's Who in Science and Engineering" (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
- International Advisory Committee, IUPAP International Conference on Magnetism (2000)
- Magnetics Society Distinguished Lecturer (1997-98)
- Program Committee International Magnetics Conference (1996, 1999)
- Administrative Committee of the Magnetics Society (1995-1998 and 1998-2001)
- Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer (1994)
- ASM Committee on Hard and Soft Magnetic Materials, (1987-present)
- Nlebedim, I. C., N. Ranvah, A. J. Moses, D. C. Jiles, P. I. Williams, Y. Melikhov, J. E. Snyder, and F. Anayi. "Effect of Heat Treatment on the Magnetic and Magnetoelastic Properties of Cobalt Ferrite." Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 322, (2010): 1929.
- Hadimani, R. L. and D. C. Jiles. "Resistivity Recovery in Gd5(SixGel-x)4." Journal of Applied Physics 107, (2010): 09C501.
- Raghunathan, A., Y. Melikhov, J. E. Snyder, and D. C. Jiles. "Theoretical Model of Temperature Dependence of Hysteresis based on Mean Field Theory." IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 46, no. 6, (June 2010): 1507-1510.
- Raghunathan, A., I. C. Nlebedim, J. E. Snyder, and D. C. Jiles. "Growth of Crystalline Cobalt ferrite Thin Films at Lower Temperatures using Pulsed-laser Deposition Technique." Journal of Applied Physics 107, (2010): 09A516.
- Raghunathan, A., Y. Melikhov, J. E. Snyder, and D. C. Jiles. "A Generalized Form of Anyhysteretic Magnetization for Jiles Atherton Theory of Hysteresis." Applied Physics Letters 95, (2009): 172510.