- Professor of Practice
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Main Office3015 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011-2164
- PhD, Industrial Engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- MBA, Marketing, Iowa State University, 1994
- MS, Industrial Engineering, Iowa State University, 1990
- BS, Industrial Engineering, Iowa State University, 1985
Interest AreasDave Sly’s research examines the integrated planning and analysis of products and their corresponding manufacturing processes in discrete part machining and assembly based organizations. Dr. Sly focuses on the manufacturing process management (MPM) component of this workflow which typically sits between product data management (PDM) and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems. In this capacity, Dr. Sly studies the workflow and data based relationships between common process engineering tasks, such as Time Estimation, Ergonomics Assessment/Analysis, Assembly Line Balancing, Factory/Workplace Design, Product Flow Analysis, and Work Instruction Authoring/Deployment. Dr. Sly is President of Proplanner, which is an MPM software firm located at the ISU Research Park. Proplanner sells an MPM framework consisting of several integrated process engineering applications for use by medium to large discrete manufacturers. The Proplanner process engineering suite is developed in the Microsoft.NET environment and is concurrently deployable via LAN and the Internet. Dr. Sly is also developing and executing the new Sales Engineering courses and proposed Minor within the IMSE department. In this capacity, he develops lecture materials and in-class workshops for the on-campus and distance education students.
- Approved: Sly, Baumblauskas, Carberry, “Selling Technical Sales to Engineering Learners”, Advances in Engineering Education (AEE), For Publication in 2016
- Sly, Baumblauskas, Carberry, “Evaluation of Perceptual Changes in an Engineering Sales Program”, ASEE Annual conference, June 2013.
- Sly, Dave, March 2011, “Handling Material Problems As They Arise”, Cutting Tool Engineering, pp 30.
- Sly, Peters, Baumblauskas, “Development of a Sales Program”, IIE Innovations in Curriculum Competition, May 2011
- D. Sly, MPM – Leveraging PLM Downstream: Product to Process Integration, CPDA Conference Presentation, 2004.
- D. Sly, 2003, Transport Effort: A metric for the evaluation and benchmarking of automotive assembly plants, Doctoral Dissertation, ISU.
- D. Sly, 2002, A Study in Process Engineering Methods and Applications in Use Within American Manufacturers, IMEP Research Project.