- Materials Science and Engineering
Main Office214 Wilhelm
Ames, IA 50011-3020
- Ph.D. Metallurgical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, 1986
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, 1981
- Characterization of materials including studies on complex rare-earth materials for magnetic refrigeration
- Phase transformations in highly alloyed cast steels
- Forensic investigations involving the characterization and quantification of toolmarks
- Investigation of oxides in high-temperature NiAlCr-based alloys
- Effects of residual stresses on the fatigue life of manufactured parts
- Stress-corrosion cracking in anhydrous ammonia agriculture nurse tanks.
Dr. Chumbley received his Ph.D. in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Illinois with expertise in the characterization of materials, specifically in the use of scanning and transmission electron microscopy. He teaches courses in analytical microscopy and in failure analysis of materials at ISU. He has published over 120 research papers in refereed journals and has given over 100 presentations at local, national, and international conferences. While on sabbatical Dr. Chumbley has worked as a materials engineer at Perkins engines in the U.K. (2001) and conducted research on oxide coatings of high temperature alloys at the University of Pittsburgh, working with Dr. Brian Gleeson (2009). Dr. Chumbley was named a Fellow of ASM International in 2011.
* indicates students
- Z. Qian*, L.S. Chumbley, E. Johnson, “Effect of Specimen Dimension on Residual Stress Relaxation: Carburized Steel,” Mat. Sci. Eng. A, 529, 246-252, 2011.
- L.S. Chumbley, J. Kreiser, T. Lizotte, O. Ohar, T. Grieve*, B. King*, D. Eisenmann, “Clarity of Microstamped Identifiers as a Function of Primer Hardness and Type of Firearm Action,” AFTE Journal, 44, 2, Spring 2012. Y. E. Kalay*, C. Yeager*, L. S. Chumbley, M.J. Kramer, I. E. Anderson, “Initial Crystallization in a Nanostructured Al-Sm Rare Earth Alloy”, J. Non-crys. Sol., 356, 1416-1424, 2010.
- B.W. King*, L.S. Chumbley, “Transformation Diagram Determination Using Impact Testing,” Int. J. Mat. Eng. Tech., 6, 1, 11-26, 2011.
- Q. Cao*, L.S. Chumbley, “Electron Microscopy Studies of Lutetium-doped Erbium Silicide (Er0.9Lu0.1)5Si4,” Materials Characterization, 62, 8, 737-741, 2011.
- Z. Qian*, L.S. Chumbley, S. Misra*, G. Miller, V.K. Pecharsky, K.A. Gschneidner Jr., K. Ahn, A.S. Chernyshov, N.K. Singh, “Electron Microscopy Examination of R5T4 Alloys where R=Ho, Yb and Gd, and T= Si, Ge, Ga, and Sb,” Acta Mat., 57 (2009) 3374-3381.
- Q. Cao*, L.S. Chumbley, Z. Qian*, “Thermal Stability of RE5(SixGe1-x)3 plates in RE5(SixGe1-x)4 alloys, where RE = Gd and Ho,” Intermetallics, 18, 1021-1026, 2010.
- G. H. Cao, A.T. Becker*, D. Wu, L.S. Chumbley, T.A. Lograsso, A.M. Russell, and K. A. Gschneidner, “Mechanical Properties and Determination of Slip Systems of the B2 YZn Intermetallic Compound”, Acta Mat, 58 4298-4304 (2010).
- Spotts*, L. S. Chumbley, "Objective Analysis of Impressed Chisel Toolmarks,” J. For. Sci. 2015 Aug 6 doi: 10.1111/1556-4029.12863.
- Mudryk, D. Paudyal, T. Prost*, S. Chumbley, V. K. Pecharsky, K. A. Gschneidner, Jr., “Correlations between magnetism, microstructure, crystallography, and phase stability in GdNi1-xCox alloys, Acta Mat., 92 (2015) 18-24.
Russell, A.M., Becker, A.T., Chumbley, L.S., and Enyart, D.A., "Leg weld fatigue cracks in anhydrous ammonia nurse tanks", Case Studies in Engineering Failure Analysis (2015), pp. 73-79, DOI information: 10.1016/j.csefa.2015.03.002