- Director, Asteroid Defense Research Consortium
Main Office2355 Howe Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2271
- Ph.D. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, June 1981
- M.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, June 1978
- B.S. Aeronautical Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, February 1975
- Guidance, navigation, and control
- Attitude dynamics and control of spacecraft
- GN&C technologies for asteroid deflection/disruption
- Planetary defense technology flight validation mission development & design
Dr. Bong Wie is the Vance Coffman Endowed Chair Professor of Aerospace Engineering here at Iowa State University, and is the founding director of the Asteroid Deflection Research Center (http://www.adrc.iastate.edu). He is the author of AIAA textbook Space Vehicle Dynamics and Control (2nd edition, 2008). He has published 150 technical papers and 60 peer-reviewed journal articles, and holds three U.S. patents on control-moment-gyro (CMG) steering logic. In 2006, the AIAA presented Dr. Wie with the Mechanics and Control of Flight Award for his innovative research on advanced control of complex spacecraft such as solar sails, large flexible space structures, and agile imaging satellites equipped with CMGs. His current research effort focuses on developing an innovative, but yet technically and economically feasible, solution to NASA’s near-Earth object (NEO) Impact Threat Mitigation Grand Challenge through a NIAC (NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts) Phase 2 study for the period of 9/15/12 – 9/15/14.
- Pitz, A., Kaplinger, B., Vardaxis, G., Winkler, T., and Wie, B., "Conceptual Design of a Hypervelocity Asteroid Intercept Vehicle (HAIV) and Its Flight Validation Mission,"Acta Astronautica 94 (2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2013.07.035
- Guo, Y., Hawkins, M., and Wie, B., “Waypoint-Optimized Zero-Effort-Miss/Zero-Effort-Velocity (ZEM/ZEV) Feedback Guidance for Mars Landing.” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 36, No. 3, May-June 2013, pp. 799-809.
- Guo, Y., Hawkins, M., and Wie, B., “Applications of Generalized Zero-Effort-Miss/Zero-Effort-Velocity (ZEM/ZEV) Feedback Guidance Algorithm,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 36, No. 3, May-June 2013, pp. 810-820.
- Kaplinger, B. Wie, B., and Dearborn, D, “Nuclear Fragmentation/Dispersion Modeling and Simulation of Hazardous Near-Earth Objects," Acta Astronautica 90 (2013) 156–164, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2012.10.013
- Wagner, S. and Wie, B., “Robotic and Human Exploration/Deflection Mission Design for Asteroid Apophis,” Acta Astronautica 90 (2013) 72–79, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2012.11.017
- Wie, B., “Hypervelocity Nuclear Interceptors for Asteroid Disruption,” Acta Astronautica 90 (2013) 146–155, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2012.04.028
- Hawkins, M., Guo, Y., and Wie, B., “Spacecraft Guidance Algorithms for Asteroid Intercept and Rendezvous Missions,” International Journal of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 2, June 2012, pp. 154-169.
- Wie, B., “Astrodynamic Principles for Deflecting Hazardous Near-Earth Objects,” Invited John Breakwell Memorial Lecture, IAC-09-C1.3.1, 60th International Astronautical Congress, Daejeon, Korea, October 12-16, 2009.
- Wie, B., Space Vehicle Dynamics and Control, AIAA Education Series Textbook, AIAA, 2nd Edition, 2008 (950 pages).
- Wie, B., “Dynamics and Control of Gravity Tractor Spacecraft for Asteroid Deflection,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 31, No. 5, 2008, pp. 1413-1423.