- Adjunct Professor
- Senior Scientist
- Physics and Astronomy
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
Main Office244 ASC I
Ames, IA 50011-3025
Other Office(s)A506 Zaffarano Hall (Physics Addition)
Ames, IA 50011-3160
Ph.D., Physics, Cornell University (1984)
M.S., Physics, Cornell University (1982)
M.S., Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (1978)
Core Research Areas: Photovoltaic materials, solar cells, photonic crystals and devices, sensors, computational electromagnetics, semiconductors and nanoscale materials
Strategic Areas: Materials, devices & circuits; energy infrastructure
Brief BiographyDr. Biswas received the Ph.D. in Physics from Cornell University. He has been a Consultant to the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center; Postdoctoral Member of Staff, AT&T Bell Laboratories; and Consultant to Exxon Research and Engineering Company. Research being conducted by Dr. Biswas spans several major fields including calculations of the properties of bulk materials and surfaces; thin film semiconductors and electronic materials, photonic crystals, subwavelength arrays, electromagnetic simulations, sensors and atomistic modeling of microelectronic processes.
- Biswas, R., D. Zhou, I. Puscasu, E. Johnson, A. Taylor, and W. Zhao. Sharp Thermal Emission and Absorption from Conformally Coated Metallic Photonic Crystal with Triangular Lattice. Applied Physics Letters 93, no. 063307 (2008).
- Zhou, D. and R. Biswas. Photonic Crystal Enhanced Light-trapping in Thin-film Solar Cells. Journal of Applied Physics 103, no. 093102 (2008).
- Biswas, R., C. Christensen, J. Muehlmeier, G. Tuttle, and K-M. Ho. Waveguide Bends and Circuits in Three-dimensional Photonic Crystals, Photonics and Nanostructures 6, no. 208 (2008).
- Sigalas, M. and R. Biswas. Slot Defect in Three-dimensional Photonic Crystals. Physics Review B 78, no. 033101 (2008).
- Biswas, R., S. Neginhal, C. G. Ding, I. Puscasu, and E. Johnson. Mechanisms Underlying Extraordinary Transmission in Sub-wavelength Hole Arrays. Journal of the Optical Society of America B 24, (2007): 2489-95.