- Assistant Professor
- Mechanical Engineering
Main Office2092 Black Engr
- PhD, Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, May 2011
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University, June 2007
- Nanoscale transport phenomena
- Surface modiﬁcations through photoswitchable polymers
- Development and implementation of multiscale computation techniques
- Improving performance of thermoelectric materials
- Predicting mechanical properties of soft matter and synthetic (bio)materials
- Identifying potential long-term thermal storage materials and the related mechanisms
- Designing novel curriculum for teaching emerging technologies
Selected Awards and Honors
- Miller Faculty Fellowship, Iowa State University, 2013-2014
- Honorable Mention for 2011 Outstanding Dissertation in Engineering, Science, Mathematics and Technology, Virginia Tech, 2012
- Graduate Man of the Year, Virginia Tech, 2011
- Liviu Librescu Memorial Scholarship, Virginia Tech, 2009–2010
- Pratt Presidential Fellowship, Virginia Tech, 2007-2008
- Young Engineering Fellowship, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Karnataka, India, 2006
- A. Sharma, P. Singh, D.D. Johnson, P.K. Liaw and G. Balasubramanian, “Atomistic clustering-ordering and high strain deformation of Al0.1CrCoFeNi high-entropy alloy”, Scientific Reports, to appear, 2016.
- H. Malekpour, P. Ramnani, S. Srinivasan, G. Balasubramanian, D.L. Nika, A. Mulchandani, R. Lake and A.A. Balandin, “Thermal conductivity of graphene with defects induced by electron beam irradiation”, Nanoscale, DOI: 10.1039/C6NR03470E, 2016.
- S. Srinivasan, U. Ray and G. Balasubramanian, “Thermal conductivity reduction in analogous 2D nanomaterials with isotope substitution: Graphene and silicene”, Chemical Physics Letters, 650, 88-93, 2016.
- Y. S. Choi, R. Singh, J. Zhang, G. Balasubramanian, M. R. Sturgeon, R. Katahira, G. Chupka, G. T. Beckham and B. H. Shanks, “Pyrolysis reaction networks for lignin model compounds: Unraveling thermal deconstruction of β-O-4 and α-O-4 compounds”, Green Chemistry, 18, 1762-1773, 2016.
- R. Singh, O. Sanchez, S. Ghosh, N. Kadimcherla, S. Sen and G. Balasubramanian, “Viscosity of magnetite-toluene nanofluids: Dependence on temperature and nanoparticle concentration”, Physics Letters A, 379 (40-41), 2641-2644, 2015.
- R. Singh, M.C. Böhm and G. Balasubramanian, “Energetic and structural properties of different conformations of merocyanine and its protonated forms”, Chemical Physics Letters, 633, 287-291, 2015.
- S. Broderick, U. Ray, S. Srinivasan, K. Rajan and G. Balasubramanian, “An informatics based analysis of the impact of isotope substitution on phonon modes in graphene”, Applied Physics Letters, 104, 243110, 2014.
- F. Leroy, J. Schulte, G. Balasubramanian and M.C. Böhm, “Influence of longitudinal isotope substitution on the thermal conductivity of carbon nanotubes: Results of nonequilibrium molecular dynamics and local density functional calculations”, Journal of Chemical Physics, 140, 144704, 2014.
- U. Ray and G. Balasubramanian, “Reduced thermal conductivity of isotope substituted carbon nanomaterials: Nanotube versus graphene nanoribbon”, Chemical Physics Letters, 599, 154-158, 2014.
- M. Korbus, G. Balasubramanian, F. Müller-Plathe, H. Kolmar and F.-J. Meyer-Almes, “Azobenzene switch with a highly stabilized cis-state to photocontrol the enzyme activity of a histone deacetylase-like amidohydrolase”, Biological Chemistry, 395(4), 401-412, 2014.