- Assistant Professor
Main Office2324 Howe Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2271
- Ph.D., Engineering Education, Purdue University
- M.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering, Purdue University
- B.E., Aerospace Engineering, University of New South Wales
- Engineering education
- Assessment development
- Student-centered pedagogy
Benjamin’s research focuses on improving engineering undergraduate education in classrooms and research settings. Specifically, his research interests include
- integrating student-centered pedagogy and technology in engineering mechanic and aerospace engineering classrooms and assessing the effect of such integration on student learning,
- designing effective summer or year-long undergraduate research (UR) experiences,
- assessing the development of undergraduates’ research skills, and
- examining the roles of graduate student and postdoctoral research mentors in UR settings.
- developing and examining engineering students’ leadership skills during their undergraduate years.
Benjamin obtained a B.E. in Aerospace from the University of New South Wales (Australia), an M.S. in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Purdue University, and a Ph.D. in Engineering Education, also from Purdue University. Prior to joining Iowa State University, he was a postdoctoral associate for the MIT-SUTD Collaboration at MIT.
- Saulnier, C. R., Ahn, B., Bagiati, A., & Brisson, J. G. (2015). Leadership development through design based wilderness education. International Journal of Engineering Pedagogy, 5(1), 47-56.
- Ahn, B., Cox, M. F., London, J., Cekic, O., & Zhu, J. (2014). Creating an instrument to measure leadership, change, and synthesis in engineering undergraduate. Journal of Engineering Education, 103(1), 115-136.
- Ahn, B., Cox, M. F., Zephirin, T., Taylor, K., Osagiede, A., Haller, Y., Groll, E., & Adams, S. G. (2014). Designing courses using case studies and content, assessment, and pedagogy to cultivate professional skills among engineering students. International Journal of Engineering Education, 30(6B), 1621-1635.
- Ahn, B., Cox, M. F., Diefes-Dux, H., & Capobianco, B. (2013, June). Examining the skills and methods of graduate student mentors in an undergraduate research setting. 120th American Society of Engineering Education Annual Conference and Exposition, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Ferguson, D. M., Cawthorne, J. E., Ahn, B., & Ohland, M. W. (2013). Engineering innovativeness. Journal of Engineering Entrepreneurship, 4(1), 1-17.
- Ahn, B., Ismailov, M., & Heister, S. D. (2012). Experimental study swirl injector dynamic response using a hydro-mechanical pulsator. Journal of Propulsion and Power, 28(3), 585-595.