- Associate Professor
- Mechanical Engineering
Main Office2036 Black Engr
- ScD, Technical Sciences, Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zurich, Switzerland, 2001
- BS and MS, Mechanical Engineering, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, 1997
- Micro- and Nanofluidics
- Convective Heat Transfer
- Single Droplet/Bubble Dynamics
- Visualization, Engineering and Simulation of Multiphase Flow
- Multiscale Transport Phenomena for Energy and Forensics Applications
Brief BiographyAfter a 2001 PhD at ETH Zurich and faculty positions at Stony Brook and Columbia University, Attinger is since 2011 Associate Professor at Iowa State University. He has produced about 80 journal and conference papers. He has given seven keynote lectures at international heat transfer and microfluidic conferences, and more than 50 invited talks in America, Asia and Europe. Attinger is a member of the Nanoengineering Council of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, where he co-organizes the Micro & Nano Technology Society-Wide Forum, and the International Conference on Micro, Nano and Minichannels. Attinger is the co-inventor of four US and international patents. He is the recipient of the ETH Zurich medal for outstanding Ph.D. thesis (2001), an NSF CAREER award for young investigators (2005), and the 2012 ASME ICNMM 2012 Outstanding Researcher Award. The first three PhD graduates of Attinger’s lab have obtained tenure-track faculty positions at research universities. Please find here a full resume.
- Xiao, J., H. A. Stone and D. Attinger (2012). “Source-like solution for radial imbibition into a homogeneous semi-infinite porous medium.” Langmuir 28(9): 4208-4212.
- N. Kim, Z. Li, C. Hurth, F. Zenhausern, S.-F. Chang, and D. Attinger, “Identification of fluid and substrate chemistry based on automatic pattern recognition of stains,” Analytical Methods, 2012, 4(1), 50-57 (with front cover figure)
- Betz, A., J. Xu, H. Qiu, and D. Attinger, Do surfaces with mixed hydrophilic and hydrophobic areas enhance pool boiling? Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 141909 (2010); doi:10.1063/1.3485057.
- R. Bhardwaj, X. Fang, P. Somasundaran, and D. Attinger, Self-assembly of particles from evaporating colloidal droplets: role of the pH and proposition of a phase diagram, Langmuir, 2010, vol. 26 (11), pp. 7833-7842.
- Xu J. and Attinger D, Drop on demand in a microfluidic chip, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, Vol 18, pp 065020, 2008.
- Xu, J. and D. Attinger, Acoustic excitation of superharmonic capillary waves on a meniscus in a planar microgeometry, Physics of Fluids, 2007. 19: p. 108107.
- D. Attinger, Z. Zhao, and D. Poulikakos, An Experimental Study of Molten Microdroplet Surface Deposition and Solidification: Transient Behavior and Wetting Angle Dynamics, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer Vol. 122 (3), pp. 544-556, 2000
- Attinger, D., S. Haferl, Z. Zhao, and D. Poulikakos, Transport Phenomena in the Impact of a Molten Droplet on a Surface: Macroscopic Phenomenology and Microscopic Considerations. Part II: Heat Transfer and Solidification,” in Annual Reviews of Heat Transfer, Vol. XI, C.L. Tien, Editor. 2000. pp. 65-143.