537 Bissell Rd.
Ames, IA 500111096
- Sharma Research Page
- ISU Computational Aeroacoustics Laboratory (ISU CAAL)
- Personal Page
- Sharma CV-Short
- Sharma CV
- Google Citation
Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 2004
M.S. Aerospace Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, 2001
B. Tech. Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (Bombay), 1999
Awards and Honors
- Early Achievement in Teaching, College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2019
- Associate Fellow of American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- US Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship (2019 & 2016)
- NSF Early CAREER award, 2016
- Renewable Energy Impact form Iowa Energy Center, 2014
- Technology Project of the Year Award, General Electric Company, 2012
- Best Publicaton award, General Electric Company, 2009
- Outstanding Research Award, Vertical Flight Foundation, 2000
Undergrad: AerE/ME 448 Fluid Dynamics of Turbomachinery, AerE 411 Propulsion of Aerospace Vehicles, AerE 311 Aerodynamics II, EM 451 Engineering Acoustics.
Graduate: AerE 583 Aeroacoustics, AerE 547 Computational Fluid Dynamics, WESEP 501X Wind Energy Resources (20%).
- Turbomachinery noise;
- Wind turbine noise;
- Bioinspired designs for noise mitigation.
- Aeromechanics performance;
- Novel turbine concepts;
- Inverse design methods.
- Numerical modeling;
- Mitigation techniques.
Selected Sponsored Projects: $2.15 M total from 12 grants including 5 federal (NSF, DOE), 5 state, and 4 industry
- CAREER: Ultra Quiet Aircraft Propulsion Inspired by the Unique Plumage of the Owl, 04/2016 – 03/2021, NSF, $500,000.
- Designing a passive, blade-mounted ultrasonic bat deterrent device, 09/2019 – 09/2021, DoE EERE, $200,000.
- Characterization of Onset of Dynamic Stall for Low Mach Number Flows, 10/2019 to 10/2022, NSF, $373,000.
- Predicting Dynamic Response of Structural Cables and Power Transmission Lines in Hurricanes and Other Windstorms, with P. Sarkar (AERE), 09/2015 to 08/2019, NSF, $337,831.
- Innovative Dual-Rotor Wind Turbine (DRWT) Designs for Improved Turbine Performance and Wind Farm Efficiency, with H. Hu (AERE), 09/2014 to 08/2018
- CAREER: Biomimetic Designs to Silence Next-Gen Aircraft Propulsion Systems, 06/2014 to 05/2017, Iowa Space Grants Consortium, $105,000.
- Modeling Aerodynamic Loads in Actuated Wind Turbines, 07/2013 – 12/2014, General Electric Co, $100K
Selected Publications: (of 63 pubs. including 26 journals, 0 patents, 0 books/book chapters; h-index (Google): 15)
- X. Wu and A. Sharma, “Artefacts of Finite-Span Domain in Vortex-Induced Vibration Simulations”, Applied Ocean Engineering, Vol. 101, 2020
- B. Moghadassian and A. Sharma, “Designing Wind Turbine Rotor Blades to Enhance Energy Capture in Turbine Arrays,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 148, 2020, pp. 651-664
- X. Wu, M. Jafari, P. Sarkar, and A. Sharma, “Verification of DES for Flow over Rigidly and Elastically-Mounted Circular Cylinders in Normal and Yawed Flow”, Fluids and Structures, Vol. 94, 2020
- A. Sharma and M. Visbal, (2019). “Numerical investigation of the effect of airfoil thickness on onset of dynamic stall,” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol 870.
- A. Bodling and A. Sharma, (2019). “Numerical Investigation of Noise Reduction Mechanisms in a Bio-inspired Airfoil,” Journal of Sound & Vibration, Vol. 453.
- A. Bodling and A. Sharma, (2018). “Numerical investigation of low-noise airfoils inspired by the down coat of owls,” Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, Vol 14, No. 1.
- B. Moghadassian and A. Sharma, (2018). “Inverse Design of Single- and Multi-Rotor Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Blades using Computational Fluid Dynamics,” ASME J. Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 140, No. 2.
- B. Agrawal and A. Sharma, (2016). “Numerical Analysis of Aerodynamic Noise Mitigation via Leading Edge Serrations for a Rod-Airfoil Configuration,” International Journal of Aeroacoustics, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 734-756.
- Z. Wang, and W. Tian, A. Ozbay, A. Sharma, and H. Hu, (2016). “An Experimental Study on the Aeromechanics and Wake Characteristics of a Novel Twin-Rotor Wind Turbine in a Turbulent Boundary Layer Flow,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 57.
- A. Rosenberg, and A. Sharma, (2016). “A Prescribed-Wake Vortex Lattice Method for Preliminary Design of Co-Axial, Dual-Rotor Wind Turbines,” ASME J. Solar Energy Engineering, Vol. 138, Issue 6.
- L. Chen, C. Harding, A. Sharma, and E. MacDonald, (2016). “Modeling Noise and Lease Soft Costs Improves Wind Farm Design and Cost-of-Energy Predictions,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 97, pp 849-859.
- H. Ju, R. Mani, M. Vysohlid, and A. Sharma, (2015). “Investigation of Fan-Wake/Outlet-Guide-Vane Interaction Broadband Noise,” Vol. 53, No. 12, AIAA Journal, pp. 3534-3550.
- F. Han, A. Sharma, U. Paliath, and C. Shieh, (2014). “Multiple Pure Tone Noise Prediction,” Vol. 233, No. 25, Journal of Sound and Vibration, pp. 6942–6959.
- A. Rosenberg, S. Selvaraj, and A. Sharma, (2014). “A Novel Dual-Rotor Turbine for Increased Wind Energy Capture”, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 524.
- A. Sharma and Hsuannien Chen, (2013). “Prediction of Tonal Aerodynamic Noise from Open Rotors” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, No. 16, pp. 3832–3845.
- A. Sharma, S. K. Richards, T. H. Wood, and C. M. Shieh, (2009). “Numerical Prediction of Fan Tone Interaction Noise from High Bypass Aircraft Engines,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 47, No. 12, pp. 2866-2878.
- N. Sezer-Uzol, A. Sharma and L. N. Long, (2005). “Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations of Ship Airwake,” Proceedings of the I Mech E, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 219, No. 5, pp. 369–392.
- A. Sharma and L. N. Long, (2004). “Numerical Simulation of the Blast Impact Problem using the Direct Simulation Monte (DSMC) Carlo Method,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 200, No. 1, pp. 211–237.
- F. Souliez, L. N. Long, P. J. Morris, and A. Sharma, (2002). “Landing Gear Aerodynamic Noise Prediction Using Unstructured Grids,” International Journal of Aeroacoustics, Vol. 1, No. 2, pp. 115–135.
- A. Sharma and N. Ananthkrishnan, (2001). “Passage Through Resonance of Rolling, Finned Projectiles with Center-of-Mass Offset,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 239, No. 1, pp. 1–17.
- A. Sharma and N. Ananthkrishnan, (2000). “Large-Amplitude Limit Cycles via a Homoclinic Bifurcation Mechanism,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 236, No. 4, pp. 725–729.