2241 Howe Hall
537 Bissell Rd.
Ames, IA 50011-1096
Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University, 2005
M.S. Aerospace Engineering, Cairo University (Egypt), 2001
B.S. Aerospace Engineering, Cairo University, 1996
Undergrad: AerE 351 Fundamentals of Astrodynamics, AerE 463 Introduction to Multidisciplinary Design Optimization.
Graduate: AerE 551 Orbital Mechanics, EM 548 Advanced Engineering Dynamics, AerE 651 Space Trajectory Optimization, AerE 563 Introduction to Multidisciplinary Design Optimization.
- Space trajectory optimization
- Spacecraft control
- Control of ocean wave energy converters
Selected Sponsored Projects: $2.37M total from 25 grants including 15 federal (NSF, DoD, DOE, NASA, etc.), 4 state, and 3 industry.
- Modeling and Control of Novel Variable-Shape Converters for Natural Harvesting of Ocean Wave Energy, 10/01/2020 – 09/30/2023, NSF, $411,044
- Enhancements to The NASA Evolutionary Mission Trajectory Generator, November 2019 – November 2022, NASA, $299,434
- U.S.-Ireland R&D Partnership: Control Co-Design of Heterogeneous Arrays of Wave Energy Converters, January 2021 – December 2023, NSF, $322,511
- Advanced control of Multi Degree of Freedom Wave Energy Converters. 07/2016 – 06/2017, Sandia National Labs, $99,682
- CPS: Breakthrough: Toward Revolutionary Algorithms for Cyber-Physical Systems Architecture Optimization”, NSF, 01/2015 – 01/2018, $255,470
- Collaborative Research: On making wave energy an economical and reliable power source for ocean measurement applications”, NSF, with R. Robinett (Michigan Tech Univ.), and U. Korde (South Dakota School of Mines and Technology) 07/2016 – 06/2018, $132,541.
- On integrating new capability into coastal energy conversion systems, with R. Robinett (Michigan Tech Univ.), and U. Korde (South Dakota School of Mines and Technology), ONR, 04/2016 – 03/2017, $69,879
- Advanced control of Multi Degree of Freedom Wave Energy Converters, Sandia National Lab, 11/2014 – 09/ 2015, $50,000
- M. Vijayakumar, O. Abdelkhalik, (2022). Shape-Based Approach For Low-Thrust Earth-Moon Trajectories Initial Design. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, AIAA, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 103-120.
- S. Zou, O. Abdelkhalik, (2021). Modelling Of A Variable-Geometry Wave Energy Converter. IEEE Journal of Ocean Engineering, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 879-890.
- M. Desouky and O. Abdelkhalik (2020). Time-Optimal Magnetic Attitude Detumbling, AIAA J. of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 57, No. 3, May – June, pp 549 – 564.
- S. Desouky and O. Abdelkhalik (2020). A New Variant of the B-dot Control for Spacecraft Magnetic Detumbling. Elsevier, Acta Astronautica, Volume 171, pp. 14-22.
- S. Zou and O. Abdelkhalik (2020), “Time-Varying Linear Quadratic Gaussian Optimal Control for Three-Degree-of-Freedom Wave Energy Converters”. Elsevier, Renewable Energy, Volume 149, pp. 217-225.
- M. Desouky and O. Abdelkhalik (2019). Improved Spacecraft Magnetic Attitude Maneuvering, AIAA J. of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 56, No. 5, pp. 1611-1623.
- S. Zou and O. Abdelkhalik (2019), Consensus Estimation in Arrays of Wave Energy Converters, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 10, Issue No. 2, pp.943-951.
- O. Abdelkhalik and S. Zou (2019). Control of Wave Energy Converters Using a Simple Dynamic Model, IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 10, Issue No. 2, pp.579-585.
- O. Abdelkhalik, R. Robinett, S. Zou, G. Bacelli , and D. Wilson (2019). “Optimal Control of Wave Energy Converters.” US Patent, Pub. No.: US2017/0298899A1. Filed March 22, 2017. Granted February 05, 2019.
- O. Abdelkhalik, and S. Darani (2018), Evolving Hidden Genes in Genetic Algorithms for Systems Architecture Optimization, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Vol. 140, No. 10, pp. 101015/1 –11.
- S. Darani and O. Abdelkhalik (2018), Space Trajectory Optimization Using Hidden-Genes Genetic Algorithms, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 764-774.
- O. Abdelkhalik, S. Zou, R. Robinett, G.Bacelli , D. Wilson, R. Coe, U. Korde (2017). Multi Resonant Feedback Control of Three-Degree-of Freedom Wave Energy Converters. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Vol. 8, No. 4, pages 1518-1526.
- E. Taheri, and O. Abdelkhalik (2016), Initial Three-Dimensional Low-Thrust Trajectory Design. Advances in Space Research, Elsevier, Vol 57, No. 3, pp. 889-903.
- O. Abdelkhalik, S. Zou, R. Robinett, G.Bacelli , and D. Wilson (2016), Estimation of Excitation Forces For Wave Energy Converters Control Using Pressure Measurements. International Journal of Control, Taylor & Francis.
- E. Taheri, and O. Abdelkhalik (2015), Fast Initial Trajectory Design for Low-Thrust Restricted-Three Body Problems. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, AIAA, Vol. 38, No. 11, pp. 2146-2160, 2015
- M. Nyew, O. Abdelkhalik, and N. Onder (2015), Structured-Chromosome Evolutionary Algorithms For The Variable-Size Autonomous Interplanetary Trajectory Planning Optimization. AIAA Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 314-328
- O. Abdelkhalik (2013). Hidden Genes Genetic Optimization for Variable-Size Design Space Problems. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Springer, Vol. 156, No. 2.
- O. Abdelkhalik (2013). Autonomous Planning of Multi gravity-Assist Trajectories with Deep Space Maneuvers Using a Differential Evolution Approach. International Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Hindawi, Vol. 2013, Article ID 145369.
- T. Goh, O. Abdelkhalik, S. R. Zekavat (2013). A Weighted Measurement Fusion Kalman Filter Implementation for UAV Navigation, Aerospace Science and Technology, Elsevier, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp 315–323.
- O. Abdelkhalik and E. Taheri (2012). Approximate On-Off Low-Thrust Space Trajectories using Fourier Series. AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 49, No. 5, September-October.
- O. Abdelkhalik and A. Gad (2012). Dynamic-Size Multi-Population Genetic Optimization for Multi-Gravity-Assist Trajectories, AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp 520–529, March-April.
- E. Taheri and O. Abdelkhalik (2012). Shape Based Approximation of Constrained Low-Thrust Space Trajectories using Fourier Series. AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 49, No. 3, May – June.
- A. Gad, O. Abdelkhalik (2011). Hidden Genes Genetic Algorithm for Multi-Gravity-Assist Trajectories Optimization, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, AIAA, Vol. 48, No 4, pp. 629-641.
- O. Abdelkhalik (2010). Initial Orbit Design from Ground Track Points, AIAA J. of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 47, No.1.
- O. Abdelkhalik, D. Mortari (2007). On The N-Impulse Orbit Transfer Using Genetic Algorithms, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 44, No 2.