Director, Asteroid Defense Research Collaboration
- Ph.D. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, June 1981
- M.S. Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, June 1978
- B.S. Aeronautical Engineering, Seoul National University, Korea, February 1975
Awards & Honors
- Associate Fellow, AIAA
- 2006 AIAA Mechanics and Control of Flight Award for “Innovative Research on Advanced Control of Complex Spacecraft such as Solar Sails, Large Flexible Structures, and Agile Imaging Satellites Equipped with Control Moment Gyros”
Teaching Undergrad: AerE 331 Flight Controls I, AerE 432 Flight Controls II, AerE 433 Spacecraft Dynamics, AerE 351 Astrodynamics I, AerE 355 Flight Dynamics and Control, AerE 464 Spacecraft Systems Graduate: EM 548 Advanced Engineering Dynamics, AerE 531 Automatic Flight Control, AerE 551 Orbital Mechanics, AerE 556 Guidance and Navigation
- Guidance, Control, and Dynamics of Space Vehicles; Astrodynamics and Orbital Mechanics; Asteroid Defense Mission Design; Spacecraft Attitude Dynamics and Control; Control Moment Gyros; Solar Sailing
Sponsored Grants (2007 – present): $1.2M total from 7 grants including NASA and Iowa Space Grant Consortium (100% credit); $1M total from industry (20% credit)
Selected Publications (of 210 pubs. including 80 journals, 1 book chapter, 2 books, 3 patents, 170 conf. proceedings; h-index 40 (Google):
- Wang, P, Guo, Y., Ma, G., and Wie, B. (2020). “Two-Phase ZEM/ZEV Feedback Guidance for Mars Powered Descent and Landing Problem,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics. Published Online: 24 Nov 2020 https://doi.org/10.2514/1.G005242
- Wang, P, Guo, Y., Ma, G., and Wie, B. (2019). “New Differential Geometric Guidance Strategies for Impact Time Control Problem,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 42, No. 9, 2019, pp. 1982-1992.
- Ahn, J., Wang, P., Guo, Y., and Wie, B. (2019). “Optimal Terminal-Time Determination for the ZEM/ZEV Feedback Guidance Law with Generalized Performance Index,” Astrodynamics, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 127-136.
- Lyzhoft, J. and Wie, B. (2019). “New Image Processing Algorithm for Terminal Guidance of Multiple Kinetic-Energy Impactors for Disrupting Hazardous Asteroids,” Astrodynamics, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 45-59
- Wang, P, Guo, Y., and Wie, B. (2019). “Orbital Rendezvous Performance Comparison of Differential Geometric and ZEM/ZEV Feedback Guidance Algorithms,” Astrodynamics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 79-92
- Zhang, Y, Guo, Y., Ma, G., and Wie, B. (2019). “Fixed-Time Pinpoint Mars Landing Using Two Sliding-Surfaces Autonomous Guidance,” Acta Astronautica, 159
- Wie, B., Zimmerman, B., Lyzhoft, J., and Vardaxis, G. (2017). “Planetary Defense Mission Concepts for Disrupting or Pulverizing Hazardous Asteroids with Short Warning Time,” Astrodynamics, Vol. 1, No. 1, 3-21.
- Zimmerman, B. and Wie, B. (2017). “Graphics-Processing-Unit-Accelerated Multiphase Computational Tool for Asteroid Fragmentation/Pulverization Simulation,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 599-609.
- Wie, B. and Ahn, J. (2017). “On Selecting the Correct Root of Angles-Only Initial Orbit Determination Equations of Lagrange, Laplace, and Gauss,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences, 64, No. 1, pp. 50-71.
- Zimmerman, B. and Wie, B. (2016). “GPU-Accelerated Computational Tool Development for Studying the Effectiveness of Asteroid Disruption Techniques,” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 127, pp. 644-654.
- Lyzhoft, J., Basart, J., and Wie, B. (2016). “A New Terminal Guidance Sensor System for Asteroid Intercept or Rendezvous Missions,” Acta Astronautica, Vol. 119, pp. 147-159.
- Vardaxis, G., Sherman, P., and Wie, B. (2016). “Impact Risk Assessment and Planetary Defense Mission Planning for Asteroid 2015 PDC,” Acta Astronautica, 122, pp. 307-323.
- Wie, B. (2015). Space Vehicle Guidance, Control, and Astrodynamics, AIAA Education Series Textbook.
- Wagner, S., Wie, B., and Kaplinger, B. (2015) “Computational Solutions to Lambert’s Problem on Modern Graphics Processing Units,” Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 38, No. 7, pp. 1305-1310.
- Wagner, S. and Wie, B. (2015). “Hybrid Algorithm for Multiple Gravity-Assist and Impulsive Delta-V Maneuvers, Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 38, No. 11, pp. 2096-2107
- Vardaxis, G. and Wie, B. (2014). “Near-Earth Object Intercept Trajectory Design for Planetary Defense,” Acta Astronautica, 101, pp. 1-15.
- Wie, B. (2013). “Hypervelocity Nuclear Interceptors for Asteroid Disruption,” Acta Astronautica, 90, pp. 146-155.