537 Bissell Rd.
Ames, IA 50011-1096
- Sheidaei Research Page
- Personal Page
- Sheidaei CV-Short
- Sheidaei CV
- Google Citation
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, 2015
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University, 2009
B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Sharif University of Technology (Tehran, Iran), 2003
Awards and Honors
- NSF Travel Award, Academic Leadership for Women in Engineering (ALWE17), 2017.
- Dissertation competition fellowship, Graduate school, Michigan State University, 2015.
- Outstanding graduate student, Michigan State University – ME Department, 2014.
- Selected to receive GE Technology Innovation Days Fellowship, 2011.
- Zonta International Foundation, Amelia Earhart Fellowship, 2010-2011.
Undergrad: AerE 421 Advanced Flight Structures.
Graduate: EM 510 Continuum Mechanics.
Dr. Sheidaei is the director of the Integrated Computational Material Design (ICMD) Laboratory. She has over 10 years of experience conducting research on developing microstructure reconstruction techniques for materials , establishing numerical techniques to homogenize microstructure to obtain physical properties (stiffness, strength, thermal conductivity, electrical conductivity, permeability, degradation, coupling (piezoelectric), material informatics for structure properties links, application of scientific machine learning and design and optimization of the printable metamaterial, computational modeling of composite materials including nano-reinforced composites. In ICMD Lab, she brings together the capabilities of computational mechanics methods, data science, experimental approaches, and material processing to design and manufacture advanced material systems.
- Multifunctional material for competing properties in space applications
- Energy harvesting materials such as piezoelectric materials
- Energy storage materials such as lithium-ion batteries and fuel cells
- Biological materials such as bone (in meso scale) and fibrous soft tissue such as liver
- Biomaterial such as biodegradable polymeric scaffold and bone fixation implant
Selected Sponsored Projects:
- Center for the Advancement of Science in Space, International Space Station National Laboratory (“ISSNL), Computational Microstructure Inspired and Data-driven Model for Bone Degradation to Study the Progression of Osteoporosis, USER AGREEMENT #UA-2019-977, 8/2019-8-2020.
- NSF, “MRI: Acquisition of a 3D Digital Image Correlation System to Enhance Research and Teaching”, PI: J. Baqersad, Co-PI: A. Sheidaei, D. Ludwigsen, T. Atkinson, NSF Award, $183,835, 8/2016.
- PI, Kettering Faculty Research Fellowship, “Use of Digital Image Correlation system to calibrate computational models for polymers and polymer nano-composites”, $8,000, 9/2016.
- PI, NSF Center for Advanced Automotive Technology (CAAT), Developed curriculum for an elective course “Vehicle Lightweighting”, $22,000, 4/2016-8/216.
- PI, The Kern Entrepreneurial Engineering Network (KEEN),’ Implementation of Innovation and Entrepreneur Mindset Concept into Mechanics of Materials course’, $ 10,000, 9/2016-12/2016.
- Multiscale modeling of xGnP polymer composite. Composite Vehicle Research Center, Michigan state university (CVRC). 2010-2014, graduate research fund for Azadeh Sheidaei.
- Replacement of Glass Fibers with Natural Fibers in PPGF Instrument Panel, Faurecia, 2009.
Selected Publications: (50 publications, including 29 journals, 1 patent ,20 Conf. Proceeding, Google Scholar metrics (Jan 2023): 710 citations, h-index=12, i10-index=13)
- Hajighasemi, M., Baniassadi, M., Sheidaei, A. (2019). “Design and additive manufacturing of a smart structure with tunable effective stiffness,” International Journal of Applied Mechanics.
- Sheidaei, A., Kazempour, M., Rémond, Y., George, D. (2019). “Influence of bone microstructure distribution on developed mechanical energy for bone remodeling using a statistical reconstruction method,” Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids.
- Kazempour, M., Sheidaei, A., Baniassadi, M., Rémond, Y., George, D. (2019). “Numerical simulation of osteoporosis degradation at local scale: a preliminary study on the kinematic loss of mechanical bone stiffness,” Bio-Medical Materials and Engineering.
- Bharadwaj, K., Sheidaei, A., Afshar, A., Baqersad, J. (2019). “Full-field strain prediction using mode shapes measured with Digital Image Correlation.”
- Ghanati, P., Adibnazari, S., Alrefai, M., Sheidaei, A. (2018). “A new approach for closed-form analytical solution of two-dimensional symmetric double contacts and the comparison with finite element method,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology.
- Yousefi, E., Sheidaei, A., Mahdavi, M., Baniassadi, M., Baghani, M., Faraji, G. (2017). “Effect of nanofiller geometry on the energy absorption capability of coiled carbon nanotube composite material,” Composites Science and Technology, 153, pp. 222-231.
- Safaei, M., Sheidaei, A., Baniassadi, M., Ahzi, S., Pourboghrat, F. (2015). “An interfacial debonding-induced damage model for graphite nanoplatelet polymer composites,” Computational Materials Science, 96, pp. 191-199.
- Hamedani, H.A., Baniassadi, M., Sheidaei, A., Pourboghrat, F., Rémond, Y., Garmestani, H. (2014). “Three-dimensional reconstruction and microstructure modelling of porosity graded cathode using focused ion beam and homogenization techniques,” Fuel Cells, 14 No. 1, pp. 91-95.
- Tabei, S.A., Sheidaei, A., Baniassadi, M., Pourboghrat, F., Garmestani, H. (2013). “Microstructure reconstruction and homogenization of porous Ni-YSZ composites for temperature dependent properties,” Journal of Power Sources, 235, pp. 74-80.
- Sheidaei, A., Baniassadi, M., Banu, M., Askeland, P., Pahlavanpour, M., Kuuttila, N., Pourboghrat, F., Drzal, L.T., Garmestani, H. (2013). “3-D microstructure reconstruction of polymer nano-composite using FIB=SEM and statistical correlation function,” Composites Science and Technology, 80, pp. 47-54.
- Sheidaei, A., Xiao, X. (2011). “Mechanical behaviour of a battery separator in electrolyte solutions,” Journal of Power Sources, 196 No. 20, pp. 8728-8734.
- Zeinali-Davarani, S., Sheidaei, A., Baek, S. “A finite element model of stress-mediated vascular adaptation: application to abdominal aortic aneurysms.” Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering 14, no. 9 (2011): 803-817
- Sheidaei, A., Hunley, S.C., Zeinali-Davarani, S., Raguin, L.G., Baek, S. (2011). “Simulation of abdominal aortic aneurysm growth with updating hemodynamic loads using a realistic geometry,” Medical Engineering and Physics, 33 No. 1, pp. 80-88.
- Sheidaei, A., Xiao, X.S., Huang, X., Wang, J. (2011). “Mechanical characterization of a lithium ion battery separator using a dynamic mechanical analyzer,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0669.