Beginning October 5, 2020, proposers will be required to use one of the NSF-approved formats for both the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support section of NSF proposals. Proposals submitted via FastLane, Research.gov and Grants.gov will be compliance-checked to ensure that the documents were prepared in accordance with this new policy.
Use of NSF-approved formats aims to reduce administrative burden and improve efficiencies by providing proposers with a compliant and reusable way to maintain this information for subsequent proposal submissions to NSF, while also ensuring that the information is submitted in a standard and searchable composition. The use of an NSF-approved format for submissions of these proposal sections is described in the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) (NSF 20-1).
- SciENcv: NSF has partnered with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to use SciENcv: Science Experts Network Curriculum Vitae as an NSF-approved format for use in preparation of both the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support section of an NSF proposal. SciENcv will produce an NSF-compliant PDF version of the documents that proposers must save and submit as part of their proposals via FastLane, Resrch.gov or Grants.gov. Additional information about the NSF-approved SciENcv formats is available on the NSF biographical sketch and current and pending support
The SciENcv tool integrates with ORCID, enabling proposers to populate their Biographical Sketches by importing data directly from their ORCID records rather than having to manually enter all the required information. Additionally, Biographical Sketch data maintained in SciENcv can be quickly and easily updated on an ongoing basis for subsequent proposal submissions.
- NSF Fillable PDF: NSF is also providing a fillable PDF as an NSF-approved format for use to prepare both the Biographical Sketch and Current and Pending Support sections of an NSF proposal. Proposers can download the respective fillable PDF form from the NSF biographical sketch and current and pending support websites and then submit the completed forms as part of their proposals via FastLane, Research.gov or Grants.gov. Note that the NSF fillable PDF for the Biographical Sketch does not integrate with ORCID.
Biographical Sketch Resources
- SciENcv Guidance on Creating an NSF Biographical Sketch, including step-by-step instructions and screenshots for each of the four required sections. (This is a subsection of the guidance at SciENcv Help.)
- YouTube Video – SciENcv for NSF Users: Biographical Sketches (This is a new video targeted to the NSF research community.)
- YouTube Video – SciENcv Tutorial
- YouTube Video – Integrating with ORCID
- FAQs on using NSF Fillable PDF