Assistant Professor [CCE E] Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
482A Town Engineering Building
813 Bissell Road
Ames, IA 50011-1066
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, 2017
- M.S. Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma, 2012
- B.S. Environmental Science, University of Oklahoma, 2010
- Water-energy-climate nexus
- Urban water sustainability
- Human-natural system interactions
- Climate change adaptations
Vulnerability to Climate Change in the US Urban and Rural Communities, PI, supported by Center for Global & Regional Environmental Research, University of Iowa
- GOALI: Collaborative Research: Advancing wastewater treatment resiliency and sustainability, co-PI, supported by the National Science Foundation
- Analytical tool for assessing climate risks for ERCOT, co-PI, supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- Energy Efficiency & Resilience in Extreme Weather Events, co-PI, supported by the University of Texas at Austin
For more information on Dr. Lu Liu’s research, teaching and outreach activities, please visit The Liu Group: Human-Environmental Systems Research.
For a full list of Dr. Liu’s publications, please visit her Google Scholar.
 Liu, L.; Lopez, E.; Dueñas-Osorio, L.; Stadler, L.; Xie, Y.; Alvarez, P. J. J.; Li, Q. The Importance of System Configuration for Distributed Direct Potable Water Reuse. Nat. Sustain. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-020-0518-5.
 Liu, L.; Hejazi, M.; Iyer, G.; Forman, B. A. Implications of Water Constraints on Electricity Capacity Expansion in the United States. Nat. Sustain. 2019, 2 (3), 206–213. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0235-0.
 Liu, L.; Hejazi, M.; Li, H.; Forman, B.; Zhang, X. Vulnerability of US Thermoelectric Power Generation to Climate Change When Incorporating State-Level Environmental Regulations. Nat. Energy 2017, 2, 17109. https://doi.org/10.1038/nenergy.2017.109.