Engineering International Student Network
Connecting students to campus resources, providing networking opportunities, and programming to support professional, social, and academic development among international students in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University.
Engineering Student Services recognized a need for a full-time staff member to work with international students in the College of Engineering. The position was created in fall of 2016 and the first International Student Liaison was hired in January of 2017. The International Student Liaison serves as an advocate for students and provides connections to the college and larger Iowa State community. The spring of 2017 was spent meeting students and gathering information about engineering students’ particular needs. The name “Engineering International Student Network” acknowledges the networking opportunities students have with each other and engineering professionals across the globe.
- Fall and Spring Welcome Events
- Fall Internship & Co-op Showcase: September 7, 2017
- Fall Career Fair Prep Student Panel: September 13, 2017
- Engineering Leaders of Tomorrow Leadership Conference (Sponsored Registration for 19 students): Sept. 15-16, 2017
- Spring Career Fair Preparation Events: organized by Professional Development Program Student Coordinator
- Student Panel Internship/Co-op Information Session: January 23, 2018
- Elevator Pitch and Resume Building Session: January 25, 2018
- Mock Career Fair Session: January 30, 2018
- Lunch and Learn Topics:
- Professional and Academic Writing Workshop (Writing and Media Center): October 5, 2017
- Designing a Vision Board for 2018: January 10, 2018
- Time Management: February 13, 2018
- Student Wellness: March 28, 2018
Fall Global Village Cafe: Provides a space for meaningful interaction and conversation between domestic and international engineering students. Two events held in Fall 2017 (pictures below) More GVCs planned for Fall 2018.
September 27, 2017: 5-6:30 pm AND October 25, 2017: 5-6:30 pm (Halloween Themed Cafe)
NEW for Spring 2018:
Professional Development Program: Nine-week program for international undergraduate engineering students. There were 14 participants in Spring 2018, look for Fall 2018 applications here in August!
Engineering Global Friends: Buddy program pairing international and domestic engineering students together. There were 13 participants in Spring 2018, look for Fall 2018 applications here in August!