John Ryder Professor
Director of Graduate Education
Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Office3025 Black Engr.
2529 Union Dr.
Ames, IA 500112030
- PhD, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1992
- MS, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1988
- BS, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1988
Dr. Mirka’s research interests are in the area of occupational safety and ergonomics with particular emphasis on spine biomechanics, low back injury prevention and ergonomic intervention effectiveness research. His research efforts have taken him into the construction, agriculture, commercial fishing, and furniture manufacturing industries. Dr. Mirka was the recipient of the 1993 Volvo Award for Low Back Pain Research.
- Tetteh, E and GA Mirka (2021) “Trunk Kinematics Variability as a Function of Time During the Early Phase of a Repetitive Lifting Task”, Human Factors and Ergonomics in the Manufacturing and Service Industries, 1-9. (DOI: 10.1002/hfm.20888)
- Sarker P, H Norasi, J Koenig, MS Hallbeck and GA Mirka (2021) “Effects of Break Scheduling Strategies on Subjective and Objective Measures of Neck and Shoulder Muscle Fatigue in Asymptomatic Adults Performing a Standing Task Requiring Static Neck Flexion”, Applied Ergonomics, 92: 103311. (DOI.org/1016/j.apergo.2020.103311)
- Koenig, J, H Norasi, and GA Mirka (2020) “Technical Note: Using Johnson Distributions to Model Trunk Kinematics”, Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, (DOI.org/10.1080/1463922X.2020.1836285)
- Sarker, P and GA Mirka (2020) “The Effects of Repetitive Bouts of a Fatiguing Exertion (with Breaks) on the Slope of Median Frequency of the EMG Power Spectrum”, Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, (DOI:10.1016/j.jelekin.2019.102382)
- Tetteh, E, P Sarker, C Radley, MS Hallbeck and GA Mirka (2020) “Effect of Surgical Radiation Personal Protective Equipment on the Rate of Back and Shoulder Muscle Fatigue”, Applied Ergonomics, 84: 103029 (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2019.103029)
- Norasi, H, J Koenig and GA Mirka (2019) “The Effects of Load Weight and Load Starting Height on Variability of Lifting Kinematics and Kinetics”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 73:102830, (DOI: 10.1016/j.ergon.2019.102830)
- Jin, S, and GA Mirka (2017) “Combined Effect of Low Back Muscle Fatigue and Passive Tissue Elongation on the Flexion-Relaxation Response”, Applied Ergonomics 63: 72-78, (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2017.04.022)