A positive attitude is a character trait that employers (and most everyone else) highly value, so it is very important to maintain a positive outlook even when the job search process has you feeling discouraged. You may have difficulty connecting with an employer or may not receive a return phone call or email that was promised. Try not to get frustrated when things are not going as quickly as you had hoped they would go. If you do not get an interview or a job offer, do not take it personally. Remember that different employers have different needs and they are seeking a person that is a good fit for their organization. A rejection from one organization does not indicate an inadequacy in you. However, if you have any concerns about your resume, cover letter, or interviewing skills, work with Engineering Career Services to remove any doubt that you have. It is important to remain confident and keep trying.
Individuals with positive attitudes tend to:
- See the good in people and focus on the positive aspects of relationships.
- Address differences with an open mind and strive for win-win solutions.
- Celebrate accomplishments and view failures as learning opportunities.
- Offer thoughtful suggestions for improvement rather than complaints.
- Show optimism by envisioning and anticipating favorable results.
- Have a willingness to attempt new things and tackle challenges.
- Regularly express gratitude and provide encouragement.
- Uses language like, “I can”, “I will” and “Let’s do it.”
- Approach challenging situations with confidence.
Add joy and fun to life instead of negativity. Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference – Winston ChurchillPREVIOUS STEP: Understand the
College Recruiting Process
NEXT STEP: Step 2 – Determine Career
Goals and Skillset