Enhancing Diversity Equity and Inclusion in the College of Engineering at Iowa State University
We will be a premier engineering college among the land-grant institutions, globally recognized as a destination for excellence and value in education, research and engagement.
We will achieve broad-based impact by:
- Fostering an inclusive and creative environment that promotes scholarship and learning.
- Providing a high-quality, experiential education that prepares students to meet the global challenges of the 21st century.
- Conducting discipline-bridging, innovative research.
- Engaging broadly with partners in Iowa and around the world.
Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Objectives
We will foster an inclusive culture for our students, faculty and staff through effective programming, engagement and accountability.
- We will operate an environment which confirms the value of every person and treats people equitably, ethically and with respect.
- We will model and practice inclusion and the ISU Principles of Community in all facets of our mission.
We will recruit and retain outstanding faculty, staff and students who will enhance the diversity and inclusive culture of the college.
- Establish appropriate targets for under-represented groups.
- Establish a continuous improvement process to monitor impact and guide investment in successful processes and programs that yield gains.
- Cultivate partnerships to create and sustain pathways into engineering.
- Recognize faculty and staff efforts in support of broadening participation.
We will invest in comprehensive efforts focusing on multicultural competencies and inclusion across the college – including our education, research and engagement programs.
- Conduct regular student, faculty and staff climate assessments with an agreed upon set of standard metrics, among others, in an effort to measure the extent to which the college of engineering provides an inclusive climate and to guide investments in programming. Including:
- Graduate students
- Faculty and staff
- Develop, deploy and share programming to engage students to learn and practice inclusion in their interactions.
- Develop, deploy and share programming to engage faculty and staff to learn and practice inclusion in their interactions.
- Include efforts to learn and practice inclusion in performance reviews and evaluation of individuals for leadership roles.