- Associate Chair of Graduate Education
- Director of Research
- John Ryder Professor of Engineering
- Industrial & Manufacturing Systems Engineering
Main Office3025 Black Engr
Ames, IA 50011-1130
- PhD, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1992
- MS, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1988
- BS, The Ohio State University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, 1988
Interest AreasDr. Mirka's research interests are in the area of occupational safety and ergonomics with particular emphasis on spine biomechanics, low back injury prevention and ergonomic intervention effectiveness research. His research efforts have taken him into the construction, agriculture, commercial fishing, and furniture manufacturing industries. Dr. Mirka was the recipient of the 1993 Volvo Award for Low Back Pain Research.
- Jin, S, and GA Mirka (2017) “Combined Effect of Low Back Muscle Fatigue and Passive Tissue Elongation on the Flexion-Relaxation Response”, Applied Ergonomics 63: 72-78, (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2017.04.022).
- Jin, S, and GA Mirka (2015) “A systems-level perspective of the biomechanics of the trunk flexion-extension movement: Part I – Normal low back condition”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 46: 7-11, (DOI:10.1016/j.ergon.2015.01.008).
- Jin, S, and GA Mirka (2015) “A systems-level perspective of the biomechanics of the trunk flexion-extension movement: Part II – Fatigued low back condition”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 46: 1-6, (DOI:10.1016/j.ergon.2015.01.007).
- Haddad O, and GA Mirka (2013) “Trunk Muscle Fatigue and Its Implications in EMG-Assisted Biomechanical Modeling”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 43: 425-429, (DOI:10.1016/j.ergon.2013.08.004).
- Hall M, ER Boyer, JC Gillette, and GA Mirka (2013) “Medial Knee Joint Loading During Stair Ambulation and Walking While Carrying Loads”, Gait & Posture, 37: 460-462, (DOI:10.1016/j.gaitpost.2012.08.008).
- Ning X, S Jin, and GA Mirka (2012) “Describing the Active Region Boundary of EMG-Assisted Biomechanical Models of the Low Back”, Clinical Biomechanics, 27: 422-427, (DOI:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2011.11.003).
- Jin S, X Ning, and GA Mirka (2012) “An Algorithm for Defining the Onset and Cessation of the FlexionRelaxation Phenomenon in the Low Back Musculature”, Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 22: 376-382, (DOI:10.1016/j.jelekin.2012.01.003).
- Mirka GA, X Ning, S Jin, O Haddad and KL Kucera (2011) “Ergonomic Interventions for Commercial Crab Fishermen”, International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 41: 481-487, (DOI:10.1016/j.ergon.2011.03.006).
- Hageman ER, M Hall, EG Sterner and GA Mirka (2011) “Longitudinal Arch Deformation during Walking and Stair Navigation while Carrying Loads”, Foot & Ankle International, 32:623-629, (DOI:10.3113/FAI.2011.0623).
- Jin S and GA Mirka (2011) “The Effect of a Lower Extremity Kinematic Constraint on Lifting Biomechanics”, Applied Ergonomics, 42: 867-872, (DOI:10.1016/j.apergo.2011.02.003).
- Ning X, O Haddad, S Jin and GA Mirka (2011) “Influence of Asymmetry on the Flexion Relaxation Response of the Low Back Musculature”, Clinical Biomechanics, 26: 35-39, (DOI:10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2010.08.012).