- Adjunct Assistant Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main OfficeSte 4700 Research Park 4
Ames, IA 50010
- Ph.D. Structural Engineering, Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), 2012
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Hunan University in China, 2005
- Bridge Engineering
- Structural Behavior of Reinforced/Prestressed Concrete Structures and Composite Structures
- Creative Use of Advanced Materials/Systems for Performance Improvement and Sustainability of Structures
- Design, Risk Assessment, and Hazard Mitigation for Structures under Multi-Hazard Scenarios
- Condition Assessment and Asset Management for Deteriorating Structures
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Techniques/Modular Structural Systems
- Design and Implementation of Laboratory and Field Testing
- Advanced Finite Element Simulation
- Blast/Impact Resistant Materials and Structures
Brief BiographyDr. Yaohua Deng is an adjunct assistant professor in the department of civil, construction and environmental engineering at Iowa State University. He is also a bridge research scientist for the Bridge Engineering Center of the Institute for Transportation. Deng received his doctorate in structural engineering from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in 2012. As a registered professional engineer in Iowa, Deng has more than ten years of experience in the field of structural/bridge engineering and has dedicated himself to the research of evaluating, monitoring, and advancing the safety, durability, and construction efficiency of bridge infrastructures. In this focused research subject, Deng has published eighteen peer-reviewed technical journal articles and two pending patent applications, and he has also presented at ten prestigious academic conferences, including the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting and Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference. Due to his research activities, Deng has notable experience in performance evaluation of bridges through lab/field testing and structural health monitoring, establishment and calibration of rigorous finite element models, and development and improvement of guidelines and codified specifications such as the Iowa Department of Transportation bridge design manuals and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials Load and Resistance Factor Design (AASHTO LRFD) Bridge Design Specifications.
Honors & Awards
- 2016 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 2017
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2012
- DSAEC Student Travel Fund Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2011
- The 3rd Place, Zone 3 in PCI Big Beam Contest, USA, 2009
- UNL Recruitment Fellowship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2008
- Deng, Y., Phares, B., Putz A.J., and Carter C. (2017). “Performance Evaluation of Transverse High-Performance Concrete (HPC) Closure Pour Connection for Use in Modular Bridge Construction.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2642, 55-67.
- Deng, Y., Phares, B., and Lu P. (2016). “Lateral Live Load Distribution of Dual-Lane Vehicles with Non-Standard Axle Configurations.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001014 , 04016136.
- Deng, Y., Phares, B., Putz A.J., Carter C., Michael N., and Dean B. (2016). “Performance Evaluation of Longitudinal Ultra-High Performance Concrete (UHPC) Closure Pour Connection for Use in Modular Bridge Construction” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2592, 65-75.
- Deng, Y. and Phares, B. (2016). “Automated Bridge Load Rating Determination Utilizing Strain Response due to Ambient Traffic Trucks.” Engineering Structures, 117, 101-117.
- Deng, Y., Phares, B., and Owen, S.W. (2016). “Experimental and Numerical Evaluation of a Folded Plate Girder System for Short-Span Bridges - A Case Study.” Engineering Structures, 113, 26-40.
- Deng, Y., Phares, B, Dang, H., and Dahlberg J. (2016). “Impact of Concrete Deck Removal on Horizontal Shear Capacity of Shear Connections.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 21(3), 04015059.
- Deng, Y., Morcous, G., and Ma, Z. (2016). “Strand Bond Stress-Slip Relationship for Prestressed Concrete Members at Prestress Release.” Materials and Structures, 49(3), 889-903.
- Deng, Y., Phares, B., Greimann, L., Shryack G., and Hoffman J. (2015). “Behavior of Curved and Skew Bridges with Integral Abutments.” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 109, 115-136.
- Deng, Y. and Morcous, G. (2014). Closure to “Efficient Prestressed Concrete-Steel Composite Girder for Medium-Span Bridges. I: System Description and Design” by Yaohua Deng and George Morcous, Journal of Bridge Engineering, 20(6), 07014010.
- Deng, Y. and Morcous, G. (2014). Closure to “Efficient Prestressed Concrete-Steel Composite Girder for Medium-Span Bridges. II: Finite-Element Analysis and Experimental Investigation” by Yaohua Deng and George Morcous, Journal of Bridge Engineering, 20(5), 07014008.
- Deng, Y. and Tuan, C.Y. (2013). “Design of Concrete-filled Circular Steel Tubes under Lateral Impact.” ACI Structural Journal, 110(4), 691-702.
- Deng, Y., Norton, T.R., and Tuan, C.Y. (2013). “Numerical Analysis of Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes.” Structures and Buildings, 166(1), 3-14.
- Deng, Y. and Morcous, G. (2013). “Efficient Prestressed Concrete-Steel Composite Girder for Medium-Span Bridges: I - System Description and Design.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 18(12), 1347-1357.
- Deng, Y. and Morcous, G. (2013). “Efficient Prestressed Concrete-Steel Composite Girder for Medium-Span Bridges: II - Finite Element Analysis and Experimental Investigation.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 18(12), 1358-1372.
- Deng, Y. and Morcous, G. (2013). “Calibration of Strength Design of Pretensioned Concrete Members at Release.” Advances in Structural Engineering, 16(10), 1781-1800.
- Deng, Y., Tuan, C.Y., and Xiao, Y. (2012). “Flexural Behavior of Concrete-filled Circular Steel Tubes under High-strain Rate Impact Loading.” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 138(3), 449-456.
- Morcous, G., Hanna, K.E., Deng, Y., and Tadros, M.K. (2012). “Concrete-Filled Steel Tubular Tied Arch Bridge System: Application to Columbus Viaduct.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, 17(1), 107-116.
- Deng, Y., Tuan, C.Y., Zhou, Q., and Xiao, Y. (2011). “Flexural Strength Analysis of Non-post-tensioned versus Post-tensioned Concrete-Filled Circular Steel Tubes.” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 67(2), 192-202.