Wind Energy Initiative
Undergraduate Wind Energy Courses
The College offers a variety of courses that provide a good foundation in wind energy and knowledge of component design and manufacturing, electric generation, transmission, and grid operations. All skills and concepts students learn are directly applicable to roles as wind industry planners, manufacturers, developers, utilities personnel and maintenance providers.
Research Experience for Undergraduates
Each summer Iowa State invites undergraduate students from all over the country to an intensive 10-week-on-campus research program in Wind Energy Science, Engineering and Policy (WESEP), funded by the National Science Foundation. Students investigate wind energy topics, which include wind turbine materials, environmental impacts, and analyses of how wind will become a major U.S. energy source. To learn more about the program visit the WESEP REU page.
- Summer 2013 REU Symposium Proceedings (PDF)
- Summer 2012 REU Student Abstracts (.docx)
- Summer 2012 REU Symposium Proceedings (PDF)
- To see what students did in summer 2011 visit, Exploring the power of wind.
WESEP Ph.D. program and IGERT
Iowa State has developed the nation’s first Ph.D. degree in WESEP. This program is partly funded through a $3.1 million Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) award from the National Science Foundation. This award will support the work of 30 WESEP Ph.D. students over the 2012-16 period in interdisciplinary coursework and research focused on wind energy. For more information about WESEP and IGERT, please visit www.igert.windenergy.iastate.edu.
- Iowa State University selected to participate in the 2018 DoE Collegiate Wind Competition April 28, 2017
- Iowa State engineer models wind turbines for better designs, performance January 29, 2016
- Sri Sritharan winner of a 2015 Iowa Energy Center Impact Award December 14, 2015
Upcoming Wind Energy Events
- College to host the next NAWEA 2017 Symposium October 26, 2016
- Presentations available: Wind Energy Industry Symposium, Sept. 29, 2015 July 13, 2015