CareerBuilder.com surveyed hiring managers to identify the top mistakes made by job seekers during interviews.
- Appearing uninterested (identified by 62% of employers)
- Answering a cell phone or looking at a text (60%)
- Dressing inappropriately (60%). See Tips for Looking your Best
- Talking negatively about a current or previous employer (58%)
- Failing to make eye contact (72 percent) or smile (42%), having bad posture (38%) or a limp handshake (28%)
- Not providing specific examples and fuzzy details when answering questions (34%). Use the STAR method to answer questions.
- Talking too much about unimportant information (30%)
- Not knowing anything about an employer (30%). Be sure to research the employer beforehand.