Vitalij K Pecharsky
- Distinguished Professor
- Materials Science and Engineering
Main Office253 Spedding
Ames, IA 50011-3020
- Ph.D. Crystallography (Dept. of Inorganic Chemistry) and minors in Solid State Chemistry and Metallurgy, L'viv State University, Ukraine, 1979
- M.S. (with Distinction) Chemistry and minors in Physics and Mathematics, L'viv State University, Ukraine, 1976
- Advanced synthesis and characterization methods
- Materials for energy conversion and renewable energy
- Caloric materials
- Electronic, magnetic, and hydrogen storage materials
- Rare earth materials
- 2016-Present Director, CaloriCool™- The Caloric Materials Consortium, https://www.caloricool.org
- 2010-2013 Associate Chair for Research and Economic Development, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- 2008-Present Field Work Project Leader, The Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
- 2007-Present Distinguished Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- 2000-2006 Professor, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- 2001-Present Senior Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
- 1998-2000 Associate Professor, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- 1998-2000 Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
- 1995-1998 Associate Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
- 1993-1995 Visiting Scientist, The Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA.
- 1979-1993 Associate Professor, Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Lviv State University, Lviv, Ukraine; (Assistant Professor, 1979-1985).
Publications (Totals: 470 refereed, 39 chapters in books, 1 book authored, 24 books edited):
- Y. Mudryk, D. Paudyal, J. Liu, and V.K. Pecharsky, “Enhancing magnetic functionality with scandium: Breaking stereotypes in the design of rare earth materials,” Chem. Mater. 29, 3962-3970 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.7b00314
- A.K. Pathak, D. Paudyal, Y. Mudryk, and V.K. Pecharsky, “Role of 4f electrons in crystallographic and magnetic complexity,” Phys. Rev. B 96, 064412 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.96.064412
- I. Hlova, J.F. Goldston, S. Gupta, T. Kobayashi, M. Pruski, and V.K. Pecharsky, “A benign synthesis of alane by the composition-controlled mechanochemical reaction of sodium hydride and aluminum chloride,” J. Mater. Sci. 52, 11900-11910 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10853-017-1219-y
- J. Liu, Y. Mudryk, D.H. Ryan, and V.K. Pecharsky, “On the edge of periodicity: Unconventional magnetism of Gd117Co56.4Sn114.3,” J. Alloys. Compds 726, 758-764 (2017). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.08.009
- F. Guillou, A.K. Pathak, T.A. Hackett, D. Paudyal, Y. Mudryk, and V.K. Pecharsky, “Crystal, magnetic, calorimetric and electronic structure investigation of GdScGe1‑xSbx compounds,” J. Phys.: Condensed Matter 29, 485802 (2017).
- L. Petit, Z. Szotek, J. Jacson, M. Lüders, D. Paudyal, Y. Mudryk, V.K. Pecharsky, K.A. Gschneidner, Jr., and J.B. Staunton, “Magnetic properties of Gd intermetallics,” J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 448, 9-12 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2017.04.005
- N.A. Zarkevich, D.D. Johnson, and V.K. Pecharsky, “High-throughput search for caloric materials: The CaloriCool approach,” J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 51, 024002 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1361-6463/aa9bd0
- S.G. Hunagund, S.M. Hastrad, A.A. El-Gendy, S. Gupta, V.K. Pecharsky, and R.L. Hadimani, “Investigating phase transition temperatures of size-separated gadolinium silicide magnetic nanoparticles,” AIP Adv. 8, 056428 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5007686
- K. Rudolph, A.K. Pathak, Y. Mudryk, and V.K. Pecharsky, “Magnetostructural phase transitions and magnetocaloric effect in (Gd5-xScx)Si1.8Ge2.2,” Acta Mater. 145, 369-376. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2017.12.024
- L. Griffith, Y. Mudryk, J. Slaughter and V.K. Pecharsky, “Material-based figure of merit for caloric materials,” J. Appl. Phys. 123, 034902 (2018). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5004173