- PhD, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech University, 1996
- MS, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Virginia Tech University, 1981
- BS, Mathematical Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1979
Interest AreasResearch Interests
Engineering Design Process and Methods: product and system complexity; representation, capture and reuse of knowledge and information in design; modeling methods for early design and concept generation, design of product families and platforms; methods to predict and plan for obsolescence in products and systems; and product complexity.
Engineering Design Education: effects of project types, industry/community partnerships, and user-centered design on student learning, engagement and retention of students from underrepresented groups; methods to increase ability of students to solve problems that are real, ill-defined and complex, and to work in multidisciplinary teams; and the preparation of graduate students across disciplines as design educators.
- Engineering Design Process and Methods
- Engineering Design Education and Research for the Current and Future Professorate
- Engineering Economics - Emphasizing Design and Manufacturing
- Intelligent and Integrated Design Systems