Shauna L. Hallmark
- Robert S. and Roxann L. Paulsen Fellow for CCEE Excellence
- Director, Institute for Transportation
- Director, Midwest Transportation Center (Region 7 UTC)
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office418 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
Other Office(s)2711 South Loop Drive Suite 4700
Ames, IA 50010-8664
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1999
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Utah State University, 1996
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Brigham Young University, 1991
Interest AreasDr. Hallmark has focused on two main research areas: traffic safety and transportation air quality. Transportation air quality work has focused vehicle activity that influences emission, the impact of biodiesel on transit bus emissions, evaluation of the fuel economy impacts of hybrid school buses and transit buses, and vehicle activity modeling. Her safety work has focused on improving intersection safety and preventing and mitigating roadway departures. Nationally around 60 percent of traffic fatalities are roadway departures. Intersection safety research has included evaluation of the impacts of protected versus permitted left turn phases for older and younger drivers, evaluation of the impact of street lighting at rural intersections, and evaluation of the red light running cameras in Iowa. Road departure research has included causes for large truck lane departure crashes, safety impacts of edge line rumble strips, effectiveness of including paved shoulders in reconstruction, restoration, and rehabilitation projects, effectiveness of dynamic speed feedback signs on high crash curves, effectiveness of low cost countermeasure to reduce speed and crashes on curves, and development of lane departure guidance for the Iowa Department of Transportation.
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Patricia F. Waller Award from the Transportation Research Board Executive Committee, for the paper “Statistical Analysis and Development of a Crash Prediction Model for Roundabouts on High-Speed Rural Roadways.” This award is given each year for the best paper in the area of safety and system users. 2013.
- Commissioner’s Special Award for Traffic Safety. For outstanding service to the cause of reducing injuries and loss of life in traffic crashes in Iowa. The Iowa Governor’s Traffic Safety Bureau. 2011.
- Hallmark, Shauna, Yu Qiu, Michael Pawlovitch, and Thomas J. McDonald. "Assessing the Safety Impacts of Paved Shoulders," Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, Vol. 5 (2), 2013.
- Hallmark, Shauna L., Bo Wang, Yu Qiu, and Robert Sperry. "Evaluation of In-Use Fuel Economy for Hybrid and Regular Transit Buses," Journal of Transportation Technologies, Vol. 3 (1), pp. 52-57, 2013.
- Peng, Yiyun, Linda Boyle (University of Washington), and Shauna Hallmark. "Driver’s lane keeping ability while inattentive: insights from a naturalistic study," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 50, pp. 628-634, January 2013.
- Hallmark, Shauna and Bob Sperry. "Comparison of In-Use Operating Costs of Hybrid-Electric and Conventional School Buses." Journal of Transportation Technologies, Vol. 2, pp. 158-164, 2012.
- Hallmark, Shauna and Yu Qiu. "Comparison of On-Road Emissions for B-0, B-10, and B-20 in Transit Buses." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, Vol. 62 (4), pp. 443-450, 2012.
- Lee, John D. Lee (University Of Wisconsin-Madison), Daniel V. Mcgehee (University Of Iowa), James L. Brown (Battelle Seattle Research Center), Christian M. Richard (Battelle Seattle Research Center), Omar Ahmad (University Of Iowa), Nicholas J. Ward (Montana State University), Shauna Hallmark, and Joonbum Lee (University Of Wisconsin-Madison). "Matching Simulator Characteristics to Highway Design Problems," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Issue 2248, pp. 53-60, 2011.
- Hallmark, Shauna L., Bo Wang, Abhisek Mudgal, and Hillary Isebrands. "On-Road Evaluation of the Emission Impacts of Roundabouts," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Issue 2265, pp. 226-233, 2011.
- Abhisek Mudgal, Kasthurirangan Gopalakrishnan, and Shauna Hallmark. "Prediction of Emissions from Biodiesel Fueled Transit Buses Using Artificial Neural Networks," International Journal of Traffic and Transport Engineering,Vol. 1 (2), pp. 115-131, 2011.
- Hallmark, Shauna, Abhisek Mudgal, and Bo Wang. "In-Use Fuel Economy of Hybrid-Electric School Buses in Iowa," Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association, Vol. 61. pp. 504-510, May 2011.
- Gkritza, Konstantina, Caroline R. Kinzenbaw*, and Shauna Hallmark (20%). "An empirical analysis of farm vehicle crash injury severities on Iowa’s public road system," Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 42 (4), pp. 1392-1397, 2010.
- Hallmark, Shauna L. (70%), Eric Fitzsimmons*, Hillary Isebrands, and Karen Giese. "Evaluating the Traffic Flow Impacts of Roundabouts in a Signalized Corridor," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol 2182, pp. 139-147, 2010.
- Hallmark, Shauna, Massiel Orellana, Eric J. Fitzsimmons*, Thomas McDonald, and David Matulac. "Evaluating the Effectiveness of an Automated Red Light Running Enforcement Program in reducing Crashes in Iowa using a Bayesian Analysis," Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2182, pp. 48-54, 2010.
- Isebrands, Hillary N., Shauna L. Hallmark, and Wen Li. "Safety Impact of Roadway Lighting at Rural Intersections," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 136 (11), pp. 949-955, November 2010.
- Fitzsimmons, Eric J., Shauna L. Hallmark, Massiel Orellana, Thomas McDonald, and David Matulac. "Investigation of Violation Reduction at Intersection Approaches with Automated Red Light Running Enforcement Cameras in Clive, Iowa Using a Cross-Sectional Analysis," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 135 (12), pp. 984-989, December 2009.