- Research Associate Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2004
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1999
- B.E. Civil Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani, India, 1997
- Sustainable Highway and Airport Pavements and Materials
- Big Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery in Transportation Infrastructure
- Nature-Inspired Meta-Heuristics in Civil Engineering
- Smart Pavement Sensing and Monitoring
- Renewable Energy Co-Products Utilization in Pavement Applications
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Marquis Who is Who in America, 2005-2009
- Eisenhower Grant for Research Fellowship, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), National Highway Institute (NHI), 2000-2001
- ITE Scholarship Award, Student Chapter of Institute of Transportation Engineers, Louisiana State University, 1999
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Steyn, W., and Harvey, J. (Eds.) (2014) Climate Change, Energy, Sustainability and Pavements. Springer, Inc., Germany. (Link to abstract)
- Gopalakrishnan, K. (2010) "Neural Networks-Swarm Intelligence Hybrid Nonlinear Optimization Algorithm for Pavement Moduli Backcalculation," ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 6, pp. 528-536 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)TE.1943-5436.0000128)
- Gopalakrishnan, K. and Peeta, S. (Eds.). (2010). Sustainable and Resilient Critical Infrastructure Systems: Simulation, Modeling, and Intelligent Engineering, Springer, Inc., Germany. (Link to abstract)
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. (2010) "Biofuel Co-Product Uses for Pavement Geo-Materials Stabilization," Final Report, Iowa Highway Research Board (IHRB) Project TR-582, Institute for Transportation (InTrans), Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. (Link to abstract)
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Mudgal, A., and Hallmark, S. (2011) "Neuro-Fuzzy Approach to Predictive Modeling of Emissions from Biodiesel Powered Transit Buses," Transport, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 344-352 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/103846/16484142.2011.634080).
- Schwartz, C. W., Li, R., Kim, S., Ceylan, H., and Gopalakrishnan, K. (2011) "Effect of Concrete Strength and Stiffness Characterization on Predictions of Mechanistic-Empirical Performance for Rigid Pavements," Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2226, pp. 41-50 (DOI: http//dx.doi.org/10.3141/2226-05).
- Gopalakrishnan, K. and Kim, S. (2011) "Support Vector Machines Approach to HMA Stiffness Prediction," ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 137, No. 2, pp. 138-146 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000214).
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Birgisson, B., Taylor, P., and Attoh-Okine, N. (Eds.). (2011) Nanotechnology in Civil Infrastructure: A Paradigm Shift, Springer, Inc., Germany. (Link to abstract)
- Gopalakrishnan, K. and Khaitan, S. (2012) "Use of Hydrogen from Renewable Energy Source for Powering Asphalt Plant," International Journal for Traffic and Transport Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 30-43. (Link to abstract)