- Associate Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (courtesy)
- Associate Director, Center for Nondestructive Evaluation
Main Office416A Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-1066
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.Eng. Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
- B.Eng. Civil Engineering, McGill University (Montreal), 2006
- B.Com. Economics and Finance, McGill University (Montreal), 2003
- Structural health monitoring
- Adaptive systems
- Structural control
- Intelligent systems
- Nonlinear time series
Brief BiographyHonors and Awards
- Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2016
- American Society of Nondestructive Evaluation Fellowship Award, 2016
- Charles W. Shafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2015
- ASNT Fellowship Award, The American Society for Nondestructive Testing, 2013
- Outstanding Leadership, Civil Engineering at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Boston Society of Civil Engineering Ernst A. Herzog Award, 2011
- Has developed a patented elastomeric skin technology that detects structural damage
- Downey, A.+, Laflamme, S., Ubertini, F., Reconstruction of In-Plane Strain Maps using Hybrid Dense Sensor Network composed of Sensing Skin, Measurement Science and Technology, (27)12, 124016, (2016).
- Cao, L.+, Laflamme, S., Taylor, D., Ricles, J., Simulations of a Variable Friction Device for Multi-Hazard Mitigation, ASCE J. Structural Engineering, (142)12, (2016).
- Downey, A.+, Cao, L.+, Laflamme, S., Taylor, D., Ricles, J., High Capacity Variable Friction Damper based on Band Brake Technology, Engineering Structures, 113, p. 287-298 (2016).
- Laflamme, S., Cao, L.+, Chatzi, E., Ubertini, F., Damage Detection and Localization from Dense Network of Strain Sensors, Shock and Vibration, article ID 2562949, 13 pages (2016).
- Liang Cao, Austin Downey, Simon Laflamme, Douglas Taylor, James Ricles (2015), Variable friction device for structural control based on duo-servo vehicle brake: modeling and experimental validation, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 348(21), 41-56. (DOI: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~laflamme/Laflamme_JSV.pdf)
- Sari Kharroub, Chunhui Song, Simon Laflamme, Daji Qiao, Brent Phares, Jian Li (2015), Smart Sensing Skin for Detection and Localization of Fatigue Cracks, Smart Materials and Structures, 24, 065004. (DOI: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~laflamme/Laflamme_SMS.pdf)
- Jingzhe Wu, Chunhui Song, Hussam Saleem, Austin Downey, Simon Laflamme (2015), Network of flexible capacitive strain gauges for reconstruction of surface strain, Measurement Science and Technology, 26, 055103. (DOI: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~laflamme/Laflamme_MST.pdf)
- H. Saleem, M. Thunga, M. Kollosche, M. Kessler, S. Laflamme. (2014) "Interfacial treatment effects on behavior of soft nano-composites for highly stretchable dielectrics," Polymer, Vol. 55, No. 17, pp. 4531-4537 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/0.1016/j.polymer.2014.06.054).
- F. Ubertini, S. Laflamme, H. Ceylan, L. Materazzi, G. Cerni, A. D'Alessandro, A. Corradini. (2014) "Novel Nanocomposite Technologies for Dynamic Monitoring of Structures: a Comparison between Cement-Based Embeddable and Soft Elastomeric Surface Sensors," Smart Materials and Structures 23.4: 045023 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/23/4/045023).
- F. Ubertini, L. Materazzi, A. D'Alessandro, S. Laflamme. (2014) "Natural frequencies identification of a reinforced concrete beam using carbon nanotube cement-based sensors," Engineering Structures, Vol. 60, pp. 265-275 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.12.036).
- S. Laflamme, H. Saleem, B. Vasan, R. Geiger, D. Chen, M. Kessler, K. Rajan. (2013) "Soft Elastomeric Capacitor Network for Strain Sensing over Large Surfaces," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 1647-1654 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMECH.2013.2283365).
- S. Laflamme, J.-J. E. Slotine, J. J. Connor. (2012) "Self-Organizing Input Space for Control of Structures," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 21 (115015), pp. 1-46 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/21/11/115015).
- S. Laflamme, M. Kollosche, J. J. Connor, G. Kofod. (2013) "Robust Flexible Capacitive Surface Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring Applications," ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 139, No. 7, pp. 879-885 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000530).
- S. Laflamme, D. Taylor, M. Abdellaoui Maane, J. J. Connor. (2011) "Modified Friction Device for Control of Large-Scale Systems," Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 548-564 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/stc.454).
- M. Kollosche, H. Stoyanov, S. Laflamme, G. Kofod. (2011) "Strongly Enhanced Sensitivity in Elastic Capacitive Strain Sensors," Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 21, pp. 8292-8294 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/C0JM03786A).
- S. Laflamme, J.-J. E. Slotine, J. J. Connor. (2011) "Wavelet Network for Semi-Active Control," ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 137, No. 7, pp. 462-474 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000248).
- S. Laflamme, M. Kollosche, J. J. Connor, G. Kofod. (2010) "Soft Capacitive Sensor for Structural Health Monitoring of Large-Scale Systems," Structural Control and Health Monitoring, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 70-81 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/stc.426).