J. Jay Shen
- Associate Professor
- Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Main Office492 Town Engr
Ames, IA 50011-3232
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, 1992
- M. S. Civil Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, 1985
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Hefei University of Technology, China, 1982
- Performance-based seismic design of steel structures
- Model-based simulations
- Inelastic behavior of steel structures
- J. Shen, O. Seker, B. Akbas, P. Seker, S. Momenzadeh, M. Faytarouni. “Seismic Performance of Concentrically Braced Frames with and without Brace Buckling” Engineering Structures 141C (2017) pp. 461-481.
- O. Seker and J. Shen. “Developing an all-steel buckling controlled brace”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 131 (2017) 94–109.
- B. Doran, J. Shen, R. Wen, B. Akbas, A. Bozer. “Neural network modeling of seismic response of non-ductile concentrically braced multi-story buildings”, Structures and Buildings Vol. 170 Issue SB3 (2017) pp 159-167.
- J. Shen, O. Seker, N. Sutchiewcharn., and Akbas, B. “Cyclic behavior of buckling-controlled braces”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research 121 (2016)110-125.
- F. Paolacci, E. Uckan, B. Akbas, J. Shen, and D. Corritore, “Seismic vulnerability mitigation of elevated tanks using concave sliding bearings”, Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering (2016) 14:3283-3299
- J. Shen, Rou, W., Akbas, B., Seker, O., and Uckan, E. “Near-Collapse Behavior of Steel Buildings with Non-Ductile Concentrically Braced Frames ”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 113 (2015)101–114.
- Uckan, E., Akbas, B., J. Shen, Rou, W., Seker, O., and Paolacci, F. “A simplified analysis model for determining the seismic response of buried steel pipes at strike-slip fault crossings”, Journal of Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 75 (2015) 55-65.
- J. Shen, R. Wen, and B. Akbas, “Mechanisms in two-story X-braced frames”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. 106 (2015) 258–277.
- B. Doran, Shen, J. and B. Akbas, “Seismic Evaluation of Existing Wharf Structures Subject to Earthquake Excitation: Case Study”. Earthquake Spectra, 31(2), 1–18 (2015).
- J. Shen, R. Wen, B. Akbas, B. Doran, and Eren Uckan, “Seismic demand on brace-intersected beams in two-story X-braced frames”, Engineering Structure 76 (2014) 295–312.
- Uckan, B. Akbas, J. Shen, R. Wen, K. Turandar, M. Erdik. (2014) “Seismic performance of elevated steel silos during Van earthquake, October 23, 2011," Journal of Natural Hazards (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11069-014-1319-9).
- Akbas, B. Doran, J. Shen, T. Sabol, O. Seker, P. Toru. (2014) "Effect of various span lengths on seismic demand on column splices in steel moment frames," Engineering Structures, Vol. 70, pp. 94-105 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.03.013).
- Wen, R., Akbas, B., Sutchiewcharn, N. and Shen, J. (2013) "Inelastic Behavior of Gravity Frames in Steel Building Structures," Journal of the Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings Vol. 23, pp. 929-946 (DOI: http://dx/doi.org/10.1002/tal.1095).
- Şeker, O., Akbas, B., Shen, J., and Zafer Ozturk, A. (2014) "Evaluation of deflection amplification factor in steel moment-resisting frames," Design Tall Spec. Build., Vol. 23, pp. 897-928. (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tal.1090).
- Wen, R., Akbas, B., Sutchiewcharn, N. and Shen, J. (2013) "Practical moment-rotation relations of steel shear tab connections," Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 88, pp. 296-308 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.05.018).
- Akbas, B., Sutchiewcharn, N., Cai, W., Wen, R., and Shen, J. (2013) "Comparative study of special and ordinary braced frames," Journal of the Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Vol. 22, Issue 13, pp. 989-1022 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/tal.750).
- Shen, X., and Shen, J. (2012) "Application of spline element and state-space approach to dynamic analysis," ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 138, No. 1, pp. 22-29 (DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000297).