- Wilson Engineering Professor
- Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering (Courtesy)
- Materials Science and Engineering (Courtesy)
- Associate Chair for Research
- Associate, Ames Laboratory
Main Office2347 Howe Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2271
- Ph.D. Engineering Brown University, Providence, RI 1997
- M.S. Applied Mathematics Brown University, Providence, RI 1995
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt 1991
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt 1988
- Mechanics of soft and flexible materials and structures under combined external fields
- Surface evolution under stress, electrochemical, and plasma fields
- Mechanics of interfaces and layered structures
- Semichaevsky, A., Johnson, H., Low, K., Paul, D., Chandra, A. and Bastawros, A.-F., 2010, Focused Electric Field – Induced Ion Transport: Experiments and Modeling, Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, 13(12) D100-103.
- Yang, C., Lo, C.T., Narasimhan, B., and Bastawros, A.-F., 2009, Measurements of Diffusion Thickness at Polymer Interfaces by Nanoindentation: A Numerically Calibrated Experimental Approach, J. Materials Research, 24(3), 970-977.
- Chauhan, S. and Bastawros, A.F., 2008, Probing Thickness-Dependent Dislocation Storage in Freestanding Cu Films by using Residual Electrical Resistivity, Appl. Phys. Let., 93(4), 041901.
- Che, W., Bastawros, A., Chandra, A., 2006, Surface Evolution during the Chemical Mechanical Planarization of Copper, Annals of the CIRP, 55/2.
- Che, W., Guo, Y., Chandra, A. and Bastawros, A.-F., 2005, A Scratch Intersection Model of Material Removal During Chemical Mechanical Planarization. ASME-J. Mfg. Sc. Eng. 127(3): 545-554.
- Antoniou, A., Bastawros, A.-F., and Biner, S. B., 2007, “Experimental Observations of Deformation Behavior of Bulk Metallic Glasses during Wedge-Like Cylindrical Indentation,” J. Materials Research, 22(2) 1-12.
- Bastawros, A.-F., 2005, “Analysis of Deformation Induced Crack Tip Toughening in Ductile Single Crystals by Nano-Indentation,” Int. J. Solids Structures, 43: 7358–7370.
- Antoniou, A., Bastawros, A.-F., Lo C. C. H. and Biner, S. B., 2005, “Deformation Behavior of a Zirconium Based Metallic Glass during Cylindircal Indentation: In-situ Observations,” Mat. Sci. Eng. 394(1-2): 96-102.
- Antoniou, A. and. Bastawros, A.-F, 2003. “Deformation Characteristics of Tin-Based Solder Joints,” J. Materials Research, 18(10) 2304-2309.